Part 2: Growth

I don't know if they replied or not, I was already halfway out the door before I said anything

I don't know if they replied or not, I was already halfway out the door before I said anything. As I walked down the hallways I'd grown up in, I wondered if Michael would be there. He, along with Katie, Hank, and a few others, seemed to spend a lot of his time in the Lore. It was a possibility of course, but I went anyway. The words of my friends rang in my ears, and I knew I couldn't avoid him forever. Not that I would say anything to him, or possibly do anything but avoid his gaze while he did the same to me, but still. Willingly going into the same room that he might be in, that had to be progress, right?

I snorted as I turned the corner, yeah, progress.

"Alenia!" Wes said, falling down when I ran into him.

"Wes!" I replied, equally shocked. I reached my hand to help him up, but he stood without it. Oh yeah, he's mad at you for trying to kill Michael. Fuck. Men could be petty. When he started speaking, opening his mouth without saying a thing, I remembered another reason he might be upset. "I swear to god Wes if you finish that statement I will be forced to scorch you so hot your eyeballs melt."

What did I say? Petty.

"How-" He swallowed, trying to pull himself together. Watching him, I began to wonder how I'd missed this side of him. The cowardly side- why did he have to look down on me or fear me? Why wasn't there a middle ground? My eyes watered without my permission and I forced myself to pay attention to what he said. "How are you?"

"Fine," I snapped, crossing my arms. "Is that it? Can I l-leave you now?"

Mocking his stuttering was low of me, and I knew it, but I didn't care. I felt slapped, and though I would never let him know how much he hurt me, that didn't mean I would act like we were okay.

He glared, "What, now that you're in Lore, you're too good for me?"

"I've been too good for you for a long time," I replied, narrowing my eyes. Though I didn't want him to fear me, I was also questioning his self-preservation as he purposely angered me.

"You didn't think that when you were in my bed the other day," He snapped back fast. I felt my body warm in anger, lava-like rage. How dare he!

"One many things I did only to stroke your ego," I replied, ignoring the constricting feeling in my chest. It was a lie, and he knew it.

"Oh, really?" He asked, having the upper hand. Our relationship was back where he liked it. He smirked, and I wanted to smack the smirk off of his handsome- evil fucking face. Not handsome. Nope. He stepped closer, and in my initial panic my flames flared and he stepped back, worry entering his face once more.

"Damn right," I snapped, narrowing my eyes because if I had to choose between sadness and anger I was going to choose anger. I stepped closer to him, just enough to make him uncomfortable but not actually set him on fire. "And you know what? If I've gotta pick between you pitying me or fearing me, I'd pick fear. And if you're smart, you'll do the same."