Part 5: Casualties

Michael, beside me, was clearly hurt

Michael, beside me, was clearly hurt. I frowned when I noticed the blood continuing to fall. We needed to stop that but the cops were standing on front of us, shocked by our bold statement. We needed to get out of their sight, get into the school. I knew that the force field would protect us but we were far too stuck in the open.

"We need to get you to a doctor," I said.

Michael didn't protest and I noticed that he'd been balancing on his good leg since he started standing. "We need to deal with them," He nodded towards the still shocked cops, muttering to themselves and trying to figure out why their bullets hadn't worked. 

"What do you want?" The leader yelled again, prompting us to abandon our own discussion. 

Michael laughed, though it was strained. "Nothing you'd be able to give us."

"You attacked your teachers, give me one good reason not to bomb the school," He yelled at us. I glared and noticed that quite a few of the gun-toting-police paled. Good, they should be afraid.

"Because there are kids here you fucking monster," I snapped. "Five-year-olds are inside right now hiding from you!"

Michael shook my arm a little, almost unnoticeable, and I looked away from the leader. Behind him there were a few more police and army vehicles but also a lot of civilian ones. A lot of parents were showing up. We weren't alone anymore, but I had to figure out how to let them in without someone getting shot. 

"I'm going to find Hank," Michael said to me softly, ensuring that the police couldn't hear. "Maybe he can get runes to protect the whole school."

"And maybe you can get something to stop the bleeding, at least," I muttered, worried about his leg. Thankfully he nodded and I knew I could trust him to take care of himself. He gripped my hand and squeezed, letting me know that he had faith in me and learning himself how much faith I had in him. He went into the school then, leaving me alone in stature but not alone in reality. 

"What is he doing?" The leader asked, sounding worried but still not noticing me. Their fear of magical children was going to give the magical adults the element of surprise. Idiots.

Once the door shut I took a deep breath, I had to buy time and keep any of the parents from getting killed. How could I do that?

Suddenly one man yelled out and the police all noticed the parents, half of them turning and pointing their guns at them. "Turn around and go home!"

The problem was that the parents could see the guns still pointed at the school, the blood that trailed down my arm, and know with absolute certainty that their children were not safe. It was obvious to me but an utter surprise to the police when none of the parents turned away as they were told. They had actually expected the parents to either abandon their children or trust the police that had taken them away in the first place.