Chapter 39

"Ooooh! Fuck! Man, I told ya. We should've just killed em!" The figure said as they stared unnerved.

Chandral writhed, contorting his limbs, agony plastered on his face. Alm raced to Samuel, scooping him up while creating some distance from the thrashing Chandral.

"K-k-kill meee!" Chandral pleaded with glistening turquoise light emitting from his squirming body.

Alm and Samuel raced away, the man's feet pounding against the forest floor. Samuel held tightly against Alm's body as his eyes glowed amber. Gazing at the location of Chandral, the small child peered over Alm's shoulder as waves of crashing black and turquoise energy ground into one another.

Thinking to himself, Samuel mused, "He's got him." Turning to Alm, Samuel said, "Chandral's dead."

Gruffly, Alm said through pressured breaths, "I felt it too. Be prepared for anything." The focal point of the radiating energy became a pinprick as Alm, quickly placed large distance between Jonathan and themselves. Heading northeast, they passed a few highways and farmland as they attempted to stick to the forest covering.

Floating next to the racing Alm, the figure cut in, "You're going to need me, man. Might as well leave me in charge now."

"Not now!" Alm cried out. Thinking to himself, Alm considered, "I have to get more distance between us but I'm radiating too much energy as it is."

"You're right man. You're going to lead him straight to us if we don't stop now." The figured screamed.

Finally slowing, Alm decreased his energy output. Giving Samuel a nod, the boy powered down as well, to avoid being spotted by Jonathan. The two closed their eyes as felt for the location of Chandral's body.

The figure said, nervously, "Looks like he has a different energy signature now." Turning to Samuel, he asked, "Can you track it."

"Yes," Samuel said concentrating, despite increasing pain thundering upon his flesh. "It appears he is much further away."

Breathing deeply, the figure said triumphantly, "Let's fill up quickly and make our way out of here."

Considering this, Alm replied, "Good plan."

Glancing around carefully, Alm surveyed the forest as he placed his hand upon against a nearby tree. Pulling softly, he sighed deeply as energy coursed through him. Samuel placed his small hands against the ground as he took a deep draft of the surrounding vegetation. Blackness followed his touch as it spread into the neighboring plants.

Alm's eyes bulged fearfully as he sensed the immense draft of energy pouring into the boy, "No!" Alm screamed. "That's too much, too quickly!"

A crashing into the nearby forest resounded as Alm twirled around. Hurriedly, he grabbed the boy and began to speed away, once more.

"You fucked us boy!" The figure called out.

"Stop!" Samuel demanded.

"Fine. I'll be quiet for now." The figure replied.

"No! Physically stop moving!" Samuel urged.

"We have to keep building distance between us and..." Alm said before a sharp impact hit his knee.

Growling as Samuel tumbled, the two crashed into thick brambles. Pushing downward onto the pounding forest floor, Samuel propelled himself into the air, somersaulting to slow his plummeting. Finally landing firm, Samuel turned his attention to Alm, a few meters away, limping slightly as his leg appeared misshapen.