Chapter 17

The mosquito, latched onto the Maple tree's bark, lying in waiting to detect a probable meal, its antennas flickering, slightly, a meal presented itself. Flapping its wings, taking flight before hovering for a second while regaining balance, it moved towards the direction of the carbon dioxide footprint, weaving in and out of the leaves, breaking through to the light of day.

Regaining its bearings, flying lower to the ground while feeling an ominous warning close to the meal. Similar to the chemical humans sprayed on themselves to keep its kind away, it rebuffed him, an invisible wall causing it to linger for a few moments. The mosquito, so very hungry, needed this meal in order to survive. Traversing outside the realm of the forest, in fall, meals did not come readily. Humans and animals alike were difficult to come by.

Desperately, it moved forward. The pulsing energy rebuffed it; quickening, presenting irritation the closer it traveled. Finally, breaking through the barrier, hovering, it lowered itself to the human's left arm. Immediately sinking its proboscis into his soft moist flesh, sucking hard the mosquito pulled the delicious, warm, salty fluid out. So savory, so succulent, the best it ever had, it treasured its prize. Flickering in agreement its wings danced. During its ingestion, a shadow fell. Paying it no mind and continuing to slurp up its meal, its abdomen became bloated with the delectable blood until darkness surrounded it.

Slapping his left arm after feeling an unsightly itch, Samuel lifted it to inspect what lay underneath. Witnessing the remnants of an insect, limb strewn about, droplets of blood dripped down his arm. The mosquito's body scattered to the winds, while bits of it smeared onto the boy's skin.

Usually, insects stayed away from Samuel. Wondering why this brave one differed, Samuel's mind wandered. Disregarding this line of thought after a short instance, Samuel turned his attention to his surroundings.

At his favorite place during his beloved time, laying in the woods on top of the newly fallen leaves of autumn underneath his darling sycamore tree, approximately over one hundred years of age, he gazed up at the sun through the remaining colorful leaves. At midday, the effect proved dazzling. The dichotomous feel of warmth and cool invigorated him making him feel at peace. Home life, terrible for him due to his siblings and neglectful parents, this respite away provided renewal.

His complete being screamed for him to run from far away. His one solace, this forest, close to his home, nurtured feelings of contentment, of peace.

The unmistakable sound of twigs snapping in the distance roused Samuel from his contemplative state. Feeling someone searching for him, not as a guess, but a sound, a faint hum, which filled his head. Nearly resembling someone whispering softly. Many of the words presented too much difficulty to make out, however one word stood alone, "Samuel".

Springing forward in a cat-like posture, poised to take flight, scanning the area, feeling the intruder to his rear. They neared. Each step the person took towards his direction feeling like a vibration with increasing intensity, mixed with small nuances of color, which filled his mind, pinpointing the intruder's location. Closing his eyes, briefly, Samuel saw it. Faint specks of ivory, mingled with the ambient energy, he became accustomed to, inundated his mind's eye.

"What is this?" Samuel thought, perplexed.

The hum inside his head grew to a shout. Instinctively, Samuel threw his hands up. Covering his ears in a meaningless effort of closing out the sound.

"Target is Samuel", the thought boomed in his mind. "Stay sharp. He may have spotted us, already."

Gritting his teeth, leaping fully to his feet, the boy began sprinting the opposite direction of the sensation. His head throbbed as he fled, fear gripping him as he weaved through the underbrush and saplings. Another presence to his left caused him to veer right, reaching the adjoining park connected to the forest.