Chapter 9

Irritation festered within Alm as he considered the perplexing nature of Chandral and Jonathan. Watching carefully, Alm ensured the door was closed and locked before beginning to prepare for his shower. Gazing around at his surroundings, he took them in as he slowly undressed.

"So here we are. Deep in the lion's den and you want to get even more comfortable?" The figure called out as they lay on the plush bed. "Ears everywhere. You heard em' say it." The figure continued shaking their head, blowing circules into the air.

Frustrated, Alm ripped off the rags adorning his body before tossing them toward the figure as he said in furious whisper "What are we to do? We are long past the chance to flee. You think he won't find us?" Glancing around nervously as Alm listened for any movement, he continued in a hurried whisper, "This is exactly what we are looking for!"

"What are another few years to find someone else? We've been at this for twenty-some years now. We can find someone else," They urged," Someone a little safer to be around." The figure flatly stated as they toked on their pipe.

"There isn't anyone else who can help us achieve our goal!" Alm seethed. "Look at this fucking place! This guy is at the top. He can guide us to hone our skills. Teach us focus. Free me from..." Alm said trailing away. His eyes betraying his thoughts.

"No. No. Please continue." The figure said standing to face Alm.

Alm straightened, his 6'5" frame taking more space as he lifted his head, meeting the eyes of the figure.

"You think I don't know what you are want, you fool?" The figure said stepping up to the behemoth of a man. Pointing their yellow-tinged finger towards Alm's head, the figure continued, "I know what you are hiding up there. Ya want to get rid of me."

Alm's eyes hardened as his meaty fists clenched.

Turning their back on Alm, the figure lowered their tone further, "I get ya. I bet I can be a pain, sometimes. I just care for ya. For us."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Alm spat back at the figure. "All you do is talk shit and get high. How the fuck do you care?"

Turning sharply, a piercing glare met Alm as the figure fumed, "You mothafucka! I was there when those fucks..." The figure trailed off. Their voice changed to someone younger in a sheepish whimper, "little Alm. You remember?" Wiping off their face, they regained their composer, with a hint of cruelty, "How our many foster fathers would feel up your little dingleling." The figure stepped closer while pressing, their tone low and threatening, "Forcing you to do other things? Do ya remember that shit?"

Turning away uncomfortable, Alm cringed as the figure's words, inundated him.

Pressing on, the figure, now chest to chest, looked up at Alm as their snarl spewed additional vitriol, "Who was it ya were cryin' to then? Me, ya son of a bitch. I was there for ya." Stabbing Alm's chest with their finger, the figure bellowed, "Who helped free ya from the last fuck that tried that shit on ya?" The figure circled around Alm as his rage grew, "Motherfuckin' me, ya punk ass. Do ya remember what it was like? Being so powerless, helpless? If ya didn't have me, ya wouldn't have even known power." The figure's eyes glowed beige as their lip quivered. "Perhaps it's time I remind you."

Propelling their hand through Alm's chest, the figure's body tensed as Alm shivered violently. The room dissolved as Alm became transported to darkness. Soft light crept in nearby as Alm acclimated to the darkness around him.

"Do ya remember this room?" The figure inquired in a disembodied voice.

"Stop this!" Alm said seething. His arms clenching violently.