Mermaids Lift

*** Breaking News***

The police now have the name and description of a suspect, as well as a known alias. If you see him, immediately evacuate the area. He is suspected to be armed and dangerous.

His name is Colton Waller, although a witness claims he went by Eric Price. 

He has long dark hair and blue eyes. He was last seen in a white shirt and allegedly kidnapped a thin girl with bright red hair. 

******

When I woke, it was not to my usual alarm, nor was it to the birds chirping like I had wanted. Instead, it was to something hard nudging my shoulder. At first, in my delirious state, I merely smiled and looked up expectantly. Maybe Ariel had missed my presence and wished to... Well, certainly not converse, but perhaps look at my beautiful eyes?

My smile quickly turned into a shriek of horror.

In front of me was a rugged old man. He was unsmiling and held a stick in one hand. He had thick eye bags, and there wasn't an inch of skin of his face that wasn't wrinkled. "Kid, what're you two doing on my property?" 

My mouth was dry, and my mind was racing for an explanation, but I had forced myself to try and explain. "Uh, I'm sorry. My girlfriend and I... ran away. Her father is incredibly cruel and... well known! He even tore out her tongue recently, so we decided to run away..." 

The excuse was shoddy at best, but the man had seemed to eat it up. "Ah, I see. Well, I can't just leave two kids out in the cold, hungry and in need," He paused for a second, before gesturing to Ariel. "Can you carry her to my house? I'd rather not, with my old bones and all."

I merely nodded, smiling to myself,

For I had fooled yet another.