Mermaids Resist - 1

I poured the remains of the pink liquid into her mouth, struggling to keep her chin in place

I poured the remains of the pink liquid into her mouth, struggling to keep her chin in place. She was gasping, trying to stop me. Finally, I stepped away, making sure to stay away from her head in case she tried to throw up.

She flipped to her side and wheezed, clawing at her throat, and tears started welling up.

Mockingly pouting at her form, I walked to the door. "Fine, fine. I'll go. It's not like I put poison in it though, you're fine. Wuss." She looked up briefly.

It felt pretty good to close the door after looking at her horror-filled eyes, from assumedly the fact that she won't eat until tomorrow.

Made me feel like a Villan.

Looking at my clock on a wall, the hand hovered over the twelve. "Well shit." I swore, and rushed for my apron before running out the door.

~

I walked into the store, slightly out of breath. I don't know who had the idea to put the employee parking at the furthest spot of the lot, but I truly despised them. I hope they aren't alive, because if they are...

"You're late," A voice interrupted me. " It's a good thing the boss is taking the day off."

I looked up to the woman, giving her a small guilty smile. "Can I assume this won't get back to him?"

She smiled, patting her stomach. "Only if I get free lunch at Camry's."

I forced a grin onto my face. "You're the best." I lie, desperately wanting to tell her where she can stick it. How dare she? I am above her. I am her prince, even if she doesn't realize it.

Trying to act calm, I walk to my small bar that acted as a till and hang my coat on a hook in one corner.

Perhaps this needs some explanation? You simple minded humans probably are having a hard time understanding.

I work in a small grocery store. It used to be classified as a Mom and Pop shop, but the original owners died and only one of their sons took over. To keep it running, he hired a few locals.

My parents thought it would be good for me to work retail, and provide me with any money needed in case it doesn't provide well enough for their little snookims wookkims.

A clearing of throat brought me back to reality. "So, Colton, are you up to date on today's gossip?"