Mermaids Crisis

I frowned, carrying the waffle and a small plastic cup of water

I frowned, carrying the waffle and a small plastic cup of water. This was rather unexpected, Attina has more connections than I originally thought. 

The sheriff obviously wasn't worried, but how long would that last?  I mused to myself, unlocking the door. Attina was curled into a ball in the corner, her old clothes piled on her as a makeshift blanket. 

"Wake and greet the morning! It's a little after seven, your father is an eyesore and the sheriff thinks you're a whore!" I greeted Attina, setting the breakfast on the floor. She groaned at the sudden noise, her brown hair a mess. 

Slipping leather gloves on, I shot her head an apologetic glance. "Sorry darling, I'm afraid I need to take your blanket. But perhaps if I find your sisters, you shall get a nice woolen one to take its place." I strode over and snatched her old clothes, and marveled at her skirt.

It was a little tight, but the orange was a perfect match. Sequins glittered at the bottom, and although it was dirty, she looked good in it. Her ankles touched together, although that was intended. She almost looked like a mermaid, like her real self. 

"Please... please let me go." She pleaded, her voice raspy.

I tsked at her, kicking her tail. "Now stop that nonsense, or I'll start the binding ceremony early. Just sit and be a good mermaid, I'll bring you a friend soon enough."

She just laid there, although as I left I could hear her murmur a desperate call. "Father... forgive me."

Looking back, I should have taken more precautions to ensure my DNA never touched her clothes.