Mermaids Remiss

I woke the next morning on my couch, the local news playing softly in the background

I woke the next morning on my couch, the local news playing softly in the background. A glance at my phone told me it was 6:43. I stretched, deciding to fix some frozen waffles while surfing Tinder. 

Turning the volume up on my tv, I got the box, emptying out the contents of the box onto a sheet pan. Three waffles for me, and one for Attina. The lovely girl needed to lose some weight if she was to nail her role.  Popping the delicious baked goods in the oven, I pulled out my phone and tuned in to the news.

Some murder in an office building.

A dog went missing.

Some kid stole glasses right off an old man's face after he offered to help with the groceries.

I was just about to pull the waffles out and call it good when an alarming story caught my interest, tearing me away from my search for Alana.

The woman's face was blank, bored almost. "Breaking news: A girl by the name of Jasmine Walters has been reported missing after her father, Police sergeant James Walters claimed she never showed up to their scheduled monthly father-daughter dinner." She paused for a second, and while her eyes didn't move from the camera, you could just feel the eye roll she wanted to give. "Further investigation found her phone abandoned in a field near the gas-and-grass gas station. To discuss this further, we bring you, the sheriff of Melwan county live." She gave a smile, but it didn't reach her eyes.

"What do I think about Jasmine disappearing? I think it's too soon to go on a search for her. The gal has quite the... reputation. And if you think about it, her phone was found at the place we locals fondly call the Gas n Ass station! I think it's just some girl sleeping around.' The man scowled at the camera. "It hasn't even been twel-"

Abruptly the camera cut away, showing the same news lady, although she looked oddly more cheerful. "We thank the Sherrif for his time. As far as we know, there are no plans to further the search for now." 

I sighed. Attina, what have you gotten us into now?

Looking back, I should have only given her half of that waffle.