Chapter Twenty One

Mulai dari awal

Four minutes later the dress arrived in all its gaudy splendor and Kayla stood up and walked around it.  "I think it's prefect for me," she smiled as she ran her fingers over the flawless marquis cut diamonds that adorned the low collar.  "I will need to have the neckline raised," murmured Kayla’s as she looked down at her overly ample breast. "Or my breast will spill out," she finished with a smile toward Ruby.

Ruby snorted as she stared at the dress, "You will also need to have the waist let out."

Kayla arched an eyebrow as she took in the cinched waist of the gown.  She reached out and touched the diamond adorned waist and giggled, "I surely will.  What with me and Lucas expecting."  Kayla eyes widened as she turned to stare at the shocked Ruby.  "Oh no," she pouted, "I wasn't supposed to tell anyone."

Ruby's eyes dropped to her waist and her lips curled in disdain.  "You are pregnant again?"

"Yes," laughed Kayla as she placed her hands on her stomach.  "We only found out five days ago!  We are so excited!"

"I bet," grumbled Ruby as she stared back at the hologram on the screen.

Kayla smirked at the gown once more before she sat back down with Ruby.  "Shall we continue?"

"Yes lets continue," responded Ruby curtly.

Kayla looked at her device and frowned when she saw that another 45 minutes had passed as she watched Ruby babble about the dresses on the screen.  Each gaudy dress that was displayed on the table's hologram screen was analyzed by Ruby until Kayla thought blood would seep from her ears.

"You must be over the moon happy about Kae and my marriage," gushed Ruby unaware of Kayla's annoyance at the red and gold dress that looked more like a short lace teddy.  "He asked me in such a romantic way," continued Ruby with a self-satisfied smile.  "Do you want to hear about it?"

When Kayla didn't respond Ruby frowned and moved the projection to bright red and pink lingerie like dress with a sheer red bodice, pink lace sleeved and slits that went to the hips.  The dress came with onyx stones sewn into the bodice and draped down to the slits. "Are you listening to me," snapped Ruby as she waved a bejeweled hand in front of Kayla's face.

"No," replied Kayla simply.  "I was too busy wondering why you couldn't wear a simple white or cream colored dress.  That is a Nah'Byian custom and I'm sure it would please Kaelen."

"I am not Nah'Byian and refuse to wear such drivel."  Ruby sent a disgusted look toward the dress Kayla pulled up.  She frowned at the flowing white shirt and loose white top with silver stitching, "If I remember correctly for yours and Lucas's -."

"His Grace Lucas," corrected Kayla sternly.

"Whatever," replied Ruby snidely.  "Soon I will be a member of the council and-."

"But you are not married to Kae yet and are not a member of the council," interrupted Kayla coldly.  "And even if you were on the council you still do not have the right to address him as anything but his grace."

"Kaelen is a lord as well," huffed Ruby as she crossed her hands over her breast.  "Once married I will be lady of the council.  You and I -."

"Will never, and I mean ever, be on the same plain," stressed Kayla as she stood up.  "I grow weary of this you can leave."  Kayla waved a dismissive hand toward Ruby.  "I will contact you when I wish to continue with this."

"What," snapped Ruby as she stood up.  "Kaelen and I are to be married in six weeks and you dare -!"

"I dare a lot," laughed Kayla without humor.   Kayla watched as Ruby's cheeks flushed and an indignant expression filled Ruby's face before she sneered, "Maybe you should ask a friend to assist you."  Kayla pushed her chair underneath the table and smiled viciously, "That is if you have any friends."

Ruby hissed through her teeth as she stared at Kayla's superior expression.  In anger Ruby toppled the mahogany wood chair, "I will make sure my Kae-bear hears about this!"

"As if I care," laughed Kayla.  "I have no idea why he would think I would want to help you."

"You are nothing but a common whore!"

Kayla shook her head at Ruby.  "This common whore will one day be your queen but you will never be anything more than a necessity for Kaelen."  Kayla's lips curled into a smile, "He doesn't love you and he never will."

"Who needs love," laughed Ruby as she patted her now blond and blue hair.  "I will have the third seat!"

"You are a sorry excuse of a woman," sighed Kayla as she waved her away.  "I dismiss you from my presence," announced Kayla arrogantly.  "I wish I could be absent from Kae's engagement party in three weeks but I believe that is asking for too much."

Ruby fumed as she snatched the turquoise cube with wedding gowns off the viewer.  "I will tell Kae-bear you don't wish to attend our engagement party."

"Go ahead," laughed Kayla as she walked away from the visitor's room at the palace.  "Do you really think that will have bearing on me being there?"

Ruby stumped her white leather stiletto on the floor before she turned to leave palace.  "That whore monger," whispered Ruby fiercely.  "I will make sure Kaelen puts her in her place before the engagement party."

Ruby swept pass a guard wearing all black without a backwards glance, "And she has the nerve to have me come to the palace and sit with her in the visitor's receiving area.  How dare she not see me in her and Lucas's rooms?  I will make her pay dearly for this disrespect.  Wait until I tell Kaelen!  Just wait," she ended in a harsh whisper to herself.