31

I walked down a street in between my mom and dad. I was little. Not even in the double digits yet. They held either hand and every few steps they'd swing me up and I'd giggle my little heart out.

"Again! Again!" I chuckled as they'd do it again and I'd laugh. "Again!"

"As much as I'd love to keep going I have to go to work now." Mom sighed as she looked at me and I hugged her tightly. "Be good for Ric okay?"

"Okay." I nodded. "Can I ask a secret?" I asked looking at her. She smiled and nodded as she bent down and turned her head slightly. "Can Ric be my dad?" I asked in a whisper before looking to her.

She chuckled lightly and looked up to him. "Do you want him to be?" She asked curiously. I nodded and she smiled. "Then he can be. I'll see you later okay?"

"Okay. Bye mommy." I waved as she walked away.

I grabbed dad's hand and looked up to him. I smiled. "Can I know the secret?" He asked raising an eyebrow.

"You're my dad now." I said with a smile. "Do you wanna play tag?" I asked as he looked at me in shock but he was happy. Mom had just started letting me see him but I was already set on being his daughter.

"I don't know. We should probably- you're it!" He said as he tagged me and started running away.

"Hey!" I yelled as I chased after him.

"Emma." Damon said as I took a deep breath and looked up at him. "Elena gave me some clothes for you to change into if you were planning on going to school today." He said as he put them on the nightstand. "You have twenty minutes to get ready."

"I don't get a toothbrush? A hairbrush?" I asked as I sat up and stretched. "And only twenty minutes. You could've woken me up sooner."

"Hey you're in my house." He replied with squinted eyes.

"And you're a terrible house guest." I replied shrugging as I put a hand through my hair.

"All of what you need is in the bathroom. Are you doing okay?" He asked curiously.

"I had a good dream." I shrugged. "I think it's better to remember the good with her."

"So it worked." He said raising an eyebrow.

"You made me dream that?" I asked surprised as he shrugged. "But that really happened." I added confused.

"I manipulated your mind into finding a memory of her that made you happy." He responded with a nod.

"I don't know if I should be thanking you or telling you that you're creepy." I smiled lightly.

"Thanking me for sure." He replied. "I have to go outside. Long story short Elena is signing the deed to the house and I need to be invited in after she does it. Get ready." He stood up and walked out closing the door.

I got ready then walked downstairs and Elena was getting ready to leave. "Can I catch a ride with you?" I asked looking to her.

"Yeah. Are you sure you want to go?" She asked confused.

"Yeah. Better than drowning in self pity." I replied as I sighed and started walking out. We got to the school and I went to dad's classroom.

"Hey." I said looking to him as he looked up and stared for a second. "Did Damon tell you about mom?" I asked curiously.

"Yes. Uh, how are you doing?" He asked looking to me as I walked over with a shrug.

"I'm... learning to accept it." I nodded. "And you?"