Chapter 39

PLS PUT YOUR PLAYLIST HERE

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'- Eleanor Roosevelt

"You okay, Maisie?" My mom asks as she comes up behind me as I'm perched on the window sill bench.

I spent a lot of time sitting there, reflecting. Trying to remember everything I could about Levi and our time in Wake Forest together.

"I think there's something wrong with me." I looked at her over my shoulder. "I'm afraid that I'm going to forget him."

"Who?"

"Levi."

"Whose that?" She looked at me, eyebrows arched.

"A Wake Forest Police Officer. Well, at least he was in the other dimension. I still haven't figured out if he exists here or not..."

I can tell by the look on her face that she's not understanding a single word I said. "What are you talking about?" She sounded exasperated.

"Well, I never thought I'd be saying that other dimensions exist, mom, but they do. ----I guess you can call them other universes though because it sounds less demonic. ----like witchcraft."

"Dimensions? Demonic?" My mom snapped. "We don't talk such things in this house, Maisie Scarlett Brooks."

---Maybe I forgot to mention that my mother has sought religion in this universe...

Doug was a man of faith and following his example, my mother started to believe the bible. They attend adult bible studies and go to church every Sunday.

I can't get use to this universe.

It's outlandish!

I almost laughed at her reaction to the whole dimensions talk. "Okay," I said. "I'm sorry. " I started shaking my head. "---I just I'm trapped here." . ...This is not real... It's great and everything. Mom, gosh you're so happy here and you finally found the man of your dreams but this is too good to be true....We don't live like this." I pointed to the leather sofa and the 70inch LED TV. "....My biological father is a serial killer and I fell in love with a Police Officer..."

"What are you talking about? You're dating a police officer?"

"Not here..." I interrupted her. "I died, and I'm living in some sick, twisted, perfect, universe." Maybe I'm Maisie Brooks from Earth 2 or something. "None of this is real, mom."

"...I don't understand. Your real, Maisie," she says, her voice full of concern. "Honey, did you hit your head?"