Chapter 11

PLS PUT YOUR PLAYLIST HERE

"But the most beautiful things in life are not just things. They're people, and places, memories, and pictures. They're feelings and moments and smiles and laughter." – unknown

I took a cab to Raleigh-Durham International Airport and got on a plane with nothing but the contents in my purse. I would have stopped by my place beforehand if I wasn't so pressed for time.

I had to get to my dad as soon as possible in case he doesn't make it through the night.

When I arrived in Dallas, five hours and 23 minutes later, I immediately hailed a cab to take me to the hospital. Carmen met up with me at the hospital entrance to take me to the wing my entire family was waiting in. I was immediately embraced by family when I appeared around the corner but I wanted nothing more than to be with my dad.

I managed to escape the over-crowded wing of concerned family members and down the hall. My dad's hospital room was the very last one.

I wanted to personally talk to the doctors before I went in to see him but according to the nurse, the doctor was rushed to another wing.

My dad isn't their only patient.

My dad's feet were cuffed to the hospital bed when I walked into his room. I guess its jail protocol to keep serious offenders handcuffed even if they would be in no condition to escape.

There was a clash of beeping noises.

My dad was hooked up to various machines, too many as a matter of fact.

Tubes and wires were everywhere and I could barely see his face.

The machines and wires were keeping him alive, I get it, it's just never easy seeing someone suffering like that.

I stood in the doorway for a good minute before I gathered enough courage to walk in. Clumsily I steered myself to the metal chair at the bed side and sat down.

I watched him as he took deep breaths then relaxed. Every time he took a breath, I felt my own chest mimic his.

There was so much I wanted to ask him about. I flew all this way to get the answers I need and now, I just find myself paralyzed.

I don't know where to begin.

He's not in any condition to help me.

I propped my elbow on the armrest and hid my face in my hands. "Dad," I started to say. "Things are bad again. Not as bad as it was with mom but it's getting there." I removed my hands from my face and peered over at him. I slouched deeper in my seat. "I have no mom and I don't have Levi anymore. You're in the freaken hospital and the doctors don't know if you're going to make it. Everything sucks."