Chapter 7

PLS PUT YOUR PLAYLIST HERE

"Many people, especially, ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you're right and you know it, speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth." - Gandhi

Boss Man strode into my hospital room, "I figure you'd end up in the hospital at some point," he explained. "You never had the greatest luck."

"Hey, this wasn't my fault," I said firmly.

I've kept my hands clean.

I'm going to school every day so I can graduate by June.

I'm working and I'm staying away from the party scene.

Boss man walked toward Lyle patting him on the shoulder. "What's the latest on Miss Maisie Brooks?" He half smiled, genuinely concerned, "How you feeling?"

I'm hurting a lot but I wasn't going to tell him that. I plastered a fake smile on my face, "I'm just great. And I'd be even better if I knew what the fuck was going on. Care to explain, Boss Man?"

Someone's after me and they are dragging my friends into it and that was not okay.

I wasn't safe.

They weren't safe.

"Listen-" I swallowed hard, "Lyle refused to tell me what's going on but I have to know. I got jumped today, Boss Man. I could have died and I have no idea why."

"I'll tell you what I know but first I need to know if you recognize these two guys." The Chief pulled out something from his pocket and brought it over to me. He held it out and I took it in my hands. It was a paper with two faces on it. The Chief tapped the photos, "Do you know them?"

I looked at both pictures, taking a few moments to examine both faces. One was of a young man, red hair, with a beard. He had sunken eyes and definitely looked like someone who had a drug problem. The other photo was a guy with a bald head, piercing blue eyes and sunken in cheeks.

I didn't recognize them.

I don't think I've ever come across two guys who look like that.

Ever.

"Well?" The Chief inquired, urging gently. "Do you know them?"

"No idea, sorry," I handed him back the paper.

Sighing, the Chief tucked the paper back in his pocket.

"Was that them?" I asked shifting my gaze from Lyle to the Chief.