Chapter 15

PLS PUT YOUR PLAYLIST HERE

"Shock waves to a tired brain, sends that hungry lady to my door again. She's my shelter from the storm when I feel the rain, entertaining white powder." – Elton John

My breath was taken from me.

I just couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I thought I was dreaming.

I---couldn't believe it was finally happening.

I've wanted this for so long.

I've tormented myself for far too long and finally things were starting to settle where they truly belonged.

Carmen had been in contact with Stanley, for how long I don't know.

I don't even think I really care how long they've been communicating. All I wanted to know is what his number is so I can personally ask him a few questions. ---Maybe even pay him a visit if he's still living in Dallas.

Excitement rippled through me. "What did he want?"

"Well, he wanted to know how the family was doing. It was just a friendly check-in call."

"That's it?" I huffed, "Does he make these check-in calls frequently?" It would be unusual if he just decided to give Carmen a call one day. It would be really suspicious.

"No. He's called a couple of times in the last couple of months. Before that, I never heard from him."

"What do you mean a couple of times?" She needs to be a bit more descriptive here. Couple of times could mean a variety of things to different people.

"I would say like 5 times in the last 3-4 months" she said, raising her eyebrows at me. "Why does that matter?"

"Little things could mean a lot, Carmen. I need to put together a time-line or something."

Carmen stared at me for a few seconds. "Stanley wouldn't be involved in anything, Maisie. The guy wouldn't hurt a fly. He was family for a very long time."

The nice ones always turn out to be the bad ones.

What's that saying; keep your friends close, and your enemy closer?

The check-in could have been Stanley's way of saying informed at all times.

"How can you be so sure? How well do you really know him?" I said.

How well did my dad know him either?

"I trust my brother's judgment in friends." Carmen lifted her chin and jutted it out.