Chapter Twelve

Excitement.
Confusion.
Panic.

Three different reactions in the same place explode in front of this man as he blinks blankly at us from the doorway.

Hendrick is literally jumping from foot to foot, cupping his cheeks, Cedrick is just frozen on the bed in shock, and I'm trembling from head to toe trying not to projectile vomit.

William Holiday is in your room! I repeat, William Holiday is in your room! Don't breathe, don't speak, don't move, don't--

"Excuse me!" Dad's voice suddenly breaks through Hakim's shouts, Dad appearing next to the Headmaster looking far from pleased.

"I told you to leave!" Dad hisses under his breath as we stare at them both.

Why was Dad so angry? I don't recall him ever mentioning that he knew the Headmaster, so there wasn't any reason that I know of, regarding business, that would cause Dad to dislike him.

Was he mad over Hendrick's letter?

"I apologize, Henry," Mr. Holiday peers over at Dad with a soft smile. "I only wished to see our star pupil with my own eyes."

The words that leave the man's mouth only cause Hendrick to bounce around even more in childish excitement.

It takes a while for him to realize what he was doing, my brother flinching and eventually clearing his throat.

"I-It's nice to meet you, Mr. Holiday!" Hendrick stutters before puffing his chest out and facing the Headmaster straight on. "I'm Hendrick Zamora!"

I can't tell if Mr. Holiday chuckles at my brother condescendingly or out of amusement, but he reaches out his hand to shake Hendy's.

"It's nice to meet you, Hendrick Zamora. I have come all this way to--"

My brother was about to shake the man's hand when Dad suddenly smacks it away with nothing but pure anger on his face.

I can feel my mouth twist into a perfect circle of disbelief and my eyes bulge from my skull as Hendrick automatically reacts.

"Dad! What the hell?!" Hendy exclaims, taking a step back.

My brother has his back towards Cedrick and I, but I can hear in his voice that he's staring at Dad with hurt in his eyes.

A violent tremble overwhelms my hands and I fail to stop myself from instinctively scooting behind Cedrick, who I'm sure is regretting all of his decisions up to this point.

The first time at your house and he's caught in the middle of a family fight. Classic chase away method!

"Boys, I need you to go take a walk," Dad practically orders us with his bright golden gaze looking at each of us in turn.

"Dad, but--"

"Now!"

I nervously glance over just in time to connect gazes with Cedrick before we both slide off the mattress and frantically tug on some shoes.

"Henry, you are making a huge mistake..." Mr. Holiday says in an almost menacing tone as Cedrick and I scurry after my brother who went stomping down the stairs already.

I can't blame Hendrick for how he's acting, that was probably his one and only shot to clean up the mess I made!

Images rush through my mind as I imagine myself begging for forgiveness from the Headmaster, but as I peer back over my shoulder, the seriousness on Dad's face is so sharp that I immediately cringe in pain.

Nope, nope, nope. Just keep walking.

It wasn't until we followed Hendrick out the door, across the street, and into the woods that he finally stopped and exploded on the spot.