Chapter Thirteen

No. No, it couldn't be. But there was no mistaking what was in front of me. How could he be here? Why was he here? It was bad enough that Oswyn Harper had come, but now I would have to avoid someone else from discovering me?

A tap on my shoulder startled me enough to make me inhale. I hadn't even realized I'd stopped breathing. Lifting my gaze, I found Mr. Leith staring at me with a concerned frown. He made a sign with his right hand and then pointed at the page.

"I know him," I managed to say. "He is here?"

For a moment, Mr. Leith just stared at me. Then, he pointed at the pictures and then gestured in the direction of Clarendon House. Of course he had seen Mr. Bladen there. Where else would Mr. Leith have seen the gentleman?

"Miss Nelson." Miss Webber walked towards us, a polite but frosty smile on her lips. The miss sounded forced as though she didn't want to give me the courtesy. "What are you doing here? I would have expected you to be hard at work for Lady Leith as everyone proclaims you to be."

"Good day, Miss Webber," I said, forcing a smile of my own. Closing the sketch pad, I handed it back to Mr. Leith. I leaned down to pick up the basket. "Mrs. Horner sent this for you and Mr. Leith."

"And a lady's maid was the only person available to deliver it?" Miss Webber stepped forward and took the basket from me. "I would have thought this would be beneath someone of your position. Or were you simply anxious to see Master Simon?"

There was definite hostility in her tone. I had enough to worry about without having to be concerned about her suspicions and who she would tell them to.

"I am always glad to see Mr. Leith. He is an agreeable companion for anyone. As for why I was asked to deliver the basket, you know the house is busy with the party," I said, keeping my own tone even. "Mr. Leith was just showing me his sketches of the guests playing on the lawn."

"A likely story. Master Simon has not been near the big house in several months," Miss Webber said with a sniff. "Surely what he has shown you was from his own imagination."

For being a protective guardian, she clearly did not keep a close eye on her charge.

"Well, I suppose we must agree to disagree on that, and I will bid you good day, Miss Webber," I said as cheerfully as I could. Turning, I met Mr. Leith's gaze and offered him a nod. "Good day, Mr. Leith."

As I hurried away from the lonely cottage, I couldn't help but feel sorry for Mr. Leith. He was an intelligent young man, with a charming sense of humor. It was a shame he was kept isolated with only a suspicious woman to keep him company. He should have friends and conversation, even if they were done on paper.

No, I was being unfair. Miss Webber surely meant well. She had to be fond of Mr. Leith, in her own way. How could she not be after caring for him for so many years? She couldn't be completely heartless.

Shaking my head, I quickened my steps. None of that had any bearing on the new threat in my life. If Mr. Henry Bladen was a guest in the house, more than ever I would have to keep out of sight. He knew me as myself, Juliet Sinclair, and I couldn't have him revealing my deception.

He must have been the second gentleman that had arrived with Sir Horace, but why? I knew I couldn't possibly have known all Mr. Bladen's friends, but it seemed strange they would have known each other. What business had brought them together? How long had they known each other?

This time, the sound of laughter and talking made me uneasy. Even though the servant's entrance was out of sight from where the guests were at play, they sounded too close for my comfort. The very thought of being seen made me slip inside as quickly as I could, no thought to lingering in the fine weather.

How was I going to explain this new challenge to Celia?

****

"Yes, Mr. Bladen arrived with my husband," the lady said with a hint of censure as she sat in front of the mirror. "I've never met him before, and I don't believe Horace has ever mentioned him, even in passing. Why do you ask?"

"Because I do know him," I said, keeping my eyes on her hair. I'd learned so much about dressing hair and took pride in what I was able to achieve. No one would find fault in my friend's appearance. "In fact, five years ago, I expected to marry him."

With a gasp, Celia twisted to look me in the face. "Honestly?"