Breaking the News

*Guys, I am getting insanely excited about this and where I am considering leading it to. Ren has a long road ahead of him, at least for right now. I want to know how YOU think Renier will end up? What exactly he will become in the future? It's hard to tell. I hope you are all enjoying this fanfiction I am pulling together, I really am having fun writing it.*

*Reyes's POV*

There was rustling ahead of me, I heard it in the dead of my sleep. Instinctively, I rolled off the plush bed I was resting on and crouched in my defense, in case I would come face to face with an intruder with ill intent. I quickly scanned the room with a hunters precision for any foreign form that did not belong to the usual surrounds, then slowly moved closer to the end table, where I stored a few of my weapons used for defense. And pleasure. After sliding my hand in the top drawer my fingers almost immediately wrapped around the hilt of a dagger. I slipped it out, the blade held firm in my grasp, and slinked towards the entrance.

There the intruders were. Four figures walked cautiously down the stairs to the base of the entryway. It would be an uneven fight, but I could take them as long as I remained focused. I acted swiftly, and took the smallest, wrapping my arms around.... the female intruder and pressed the tip of the blade firmly against the throb of her carotid artery. She resisted and tried to pull away but I held her still and was just about to deliver the death blow when I heard, "What the fuck, Reyes!"

It was Strider.

Suddenly, I was body slammed and unable to defend myself due to my shock with the encounter. Someone covered me with the bulk of their weight, holding me down. In the split of a second, light flooded the room and I could see everyone who had entered the premises unannounced. Sabin was the person holding me hostage under his weight. Lucien was at the light switch, looking at me with his blue and brown eyes with an intensity that froze the marrow in my bones. Strider was standing in front Danika, in a protective stance, blocking her halfway from my view. And Danika was shaking with a tear stained face, rubbing the side of her neck.... Where I had the knife held.

"Oh my Gods, I am so sorry, Danika. I'm so sorry." I shoved Sabin off me and raced to my woman. Strider stepped out of the way so I had clearance. Danika flinched at first as I approached her, but eventually loosened up and let me wrap my arms around her lean body. We sat together in silence as I embraced her. I kissed the top of her as her shaking subsided and whispered, "I'm sorry." Ever so slowly, Danika put her hand on my chest and pushed me away. My stomach churned until I looked in her eyes and realized it wasn't rejection, it was concern and focus. She wasn't just here to see, she had a purpose. "What's going on? Why are you here?"

She raised her chin and stared me dead in the eye, her gaze stubborn. "You are coming home. Tonight."

At first I wanted to assume she was just joking, but I looked around the room, at the three warriors who accompanied her and realized it wasn't a joke and they would not defend my decision on this. They were her back up. All three of the men were standing at various posts in the open room, focused on their mutual objective. "What? No, you guys all know why I can't go back. It isn't safe, for anyone." I turned my back, to avoid the glare Danika was surely about to try to murder me with, and lowered my gaze, to avoid making visual contact with her army.

"Yes, actually, you will be returning home with us tonight," Danika barked and bounded around to stand directly in front of me. "Look at me, you stubborn, ass." She snagged my chin and directed my face to be in front of her own. "We all know why you don't want to go back. You are afraid to face what happened years ago with your son. But we also know why you need to go home. Your son needs you. More than ever."