Paul shook Percy’s hand while Annabeth hugged his mom. Then they were gone.

     “You did great,” Annabeth told Percy as they went down the elevator.

     Percy leaned against the elevator wall. There was a mirror. He looked serious and older. Annabeth… well, she looked like herself.

     “Argus isn’t expecting us for another thirty minutes. Wanna hang out in Central Park?” Annabeth asked.

     “Sure.” Percy took her hand.

     Central Park was only a five minute walk. They sat on a bench. Annabeth looked at the surroundings.

     “Annabeth…”

     “What?” Annabeth turned to look at Percy.

     “Why did you yell at Hazel yesterday?”

     Annabeth’s face darkened. “I don’t know if I could even trust you.”

     “Please?” Percy put his face close to hers. Her breath smelled like peppermint.

     “Oh…” Annabeth’s eyes filled with tears. She reached in her pocket and took her hand out. It was in a fist.

     Percy put his hands on her fist. He uncurled her fingers. Annabeth’s palm held a little thing made of wood. Percy saw it was an owl with a shadow over its eyes like a mask. He ran his finger over the wood.

     “What is this?” he murmured.

     “Last month, Athena came to me.” Annabeth’s eyes were a million miles away. “It was the most unpleasant visit ever. She gave this to me and told me I had to go to on the Argo II. She said I was special and that I read the signs that could lead everyone to the Doors of Death. Then she said this: ‘Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me.’ Then she went away again.”

     Chills ran up Percy’s spine. “Thanatos told Hazel and Frank that we needed a special guide that could read the signs to lead us to the Doors of Death. There’s only one sort of demigod that could do that.”

     “Who’s Thanatos?” Annabeth asked.

     “He’s Death.”

     Annabeth closed her eyes. “My mother told me I was unique. I’m… I’m a wise child. I can see things that others don’t."

     “So what’s this wooden carving?” Percy took it in his own hands.

     “The prophecy,” Annabeth breathed, close to tears. “Wisdom’s daughter walks alone, the Mark of Athena burns through Rome.”

     Percy felt frozen. “This is the Mark of Athena?”

     “You’re looking at it.”

     Now Percy understood why Annabeth was so paranoid. She was going through a time where she knew she was going to be responsible for the Mark of Athena burning through Rome.

     “I’m sorry,” Percy whispered to her, hugging her.

     “It’s okay,” she mumbled into his chest. “I don’t know why my mother chose me. It’s going to be me…”

     “Shh,” Percy shushed her. He put his hand under her chin so he could look at her gray eyes. Annabeth gazed sadly at him. “I’ll be next to you the whole time.”