Chapter 22- Piper

Chapter 22

Piper

     Piper clung onto the giant’s back, knowing that if she were to let go she could crash into the cobblestones and get seriously hurt or die. But she knew it was her job to defeat this giant, despite his cruel remarks. Tears were welling up in her eyes, and she blinked to see past the raging rain.

     I can’t do this, Piper thought, a tear escaping her eye. I need a god. She nearly slipped.

     I’m here, Piper.

     “Mom, is that you?” Piper whispered.

     Yes, my sweet. I’m here. You can kill this giant now. You can do this. That’s why you’re in this fight right now.

     Something surged through Piper’s veins, and she instantly knew it was love. The power of Aphrodite was now hers, and she could defeat this giant.

     “I am loved by Jason,” she yelled to the giant. “I am needed by my friends. You’re the weak one for thinking I can’t do this!”

     She stabbed Katoptris into Gration’s shoulder blade. Love surged through the knife, and Gration began to yell.

     “You’ll never defeat my brothers! Gaea will rule, Piper McLean! Gaea will never forgive you for this,” he managed to gurgle out as he began to fall. Already he was turning into dust.

     For one moment, Piper was falling. But strong arms caught her, and she melted into Jason’s arms. He collapsed on top of the arch, but she held onto his arm.

     “You did it,” he said, his blue eyes shining with pride.

     “Yeah,” she sighed, feeling that her consciousness was slipping away. “Did I do well? How was I?”

     “You did great,” he answered, already sounding a million miles away. “I love you.”

     She muttered something smart like, “I bet you do…” She slipped into the darkness, her hand going slack as she passed out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~ 

     She awoke to a whisper. “Piper, wake up. I have to tell you something.”

     She opened her eyes to see the storm clouds gone, revealing a rising sun. The stars could still be seen, the sky still a nice violet. She sat up, only to find a dagger at her neck.

     “Reyna,” she hissed.

     The daughter of Bellona was sitting with her midnight hair braided down one side. She was wearing her purple cloak and her dark eyes were dangerous. She smiled coldly.

     “Yes, I see you have defeated your first giant,” Reyna said passively, looking at the dust and some splatters of golden ichor. “I heard you and Jason have gotten together. I found that lovely.” Her voice was dripping with sarcasm.

     Piper’s heart skipped a beat. “What do you want, Reyna?”

     Reyna rolled her eyes. “I just want to say to watch your back. I have to say I’d make a bad enemy. You wouldn’t want me to hate you for dating Jason. Trust me; love isn’t going to save you. I’m a daughter of Bellona. Please. Just stay away.”

     The pounding in Piper’s heart was painful. She grabbed Katoptris, ignored the stinging sensation in her arm and jumped off the Arch of Constantine. She began to run, as fast as her legs could take her. Tears welled up in her eyes as she pushed herself faster. Her six friends were unconscious, and her hand felt warm. She realized that she had passed out with Jason’s hand around hers. None of that mattered anymore. Gaea, Gration, Reyna… they hadn’t been lying. Jason never wanted her. The tears were streaking down her cheeks now as she ran through alleys, ignoring everything except for registering the pain she was feeling. She was a stupid daughter of Aphrodite who had been caught in the moment. She was as bad as Drew.