Chapter 18- Piper

Chapter 18

Piper

     Piper hated Annabeth's idea. The other girls dragged her into her room after Annabeth kissed Percy quickly before going to the part of her closet she wished didn't exist.

     While Hazel and Annabeth hunted for clothes, Piper leaned back on her bed. She closed her eyes. Gods of Olympus, Jason loved her! His face had been nervous but with that smile that made the scar on his lip turn up. And he had kissed her for real. Instead of Piper wanting to kiss again, it was Jason. Instead of her heart racing, his was.

     "Do you like this?" Annabeth suddenly demanded, holding up a frilly white dress with silver flats. "I never wear this stuff, and Percy would have a heart attack."

     "No." Piper grinned. "I hate all of those clothes. But that's fine."

     Annabeth smiled in relief. "Thanks. Try it on and go show Jason!"

     "Ah..." Piper muttered. "No thank you."

     Before she knew it, the dress was on; the flats were stuffed on her feet, giving her toes no air. She had eye shadow, mascara, lip gloss... Ugh. She hated being so girly.

     "Let's go," Hazel whimpered with a grin. Annabeth took Piper's back and began to push while Hazel towed Piper along. "The guys will be amazed."

     Piper touched her straight hair that still felt hot from the flat iron. She felt sweaty. There were butterflies in her stomach. She felt ready to throw up.

     Hazel danced on ahead. "We made Piper very unhappy but extremely beautiful. After this she will kill me and Annabeth for giving her makeup."

     Someone whistled. Piper gritted her teeth. Leo.

     "I present Piper McLean!"

     Annabeth shoved Piper forward, so she had to step out. She walked out shyly. She peeked from under her long lashes.

     The boys looked shocked. Piper analyzed their faces.

     Frank looked like he was staring at the sun. It was like he couldn't find a way to blink. His eyebrows were raised, but he looked impressed. Gah...

     Percy looked stunned, like someone announced that we were all dreaming and that there were no gods. But his mouth was turned up in a grin, and he gave her a thumbs-up. He mouthed: You hate it, but let Annabeth have some pride.

     For once, Leo didn't joke. His mouth was opened slightly, and he was gasping. His brown eyes were totally bugging out. It pleased Piper that he was so tongue-tied.

     Finally, her eyes rested on Jason. His mouth was wide open. His blue eyes were warm, and surprisingly pleased.

     "Ugh..." Piper managed to say, her face turning red. "Ta da," she added, going into a small curtsy. "I look like a Barbie doll." She pointed to the two girls grinning from across the room. "It was their fault." She stomped out of the room, but not fast enough. She heard Leo burst out laughing.

     "Aw, come on Piper!" Annabeth yelled from down the hall. "Keep the dress on!"

     Piper shut her door loudly and quickly changed into shorts and her Camp Half-Blood shirt. She kicked off her flats and went to her mirror to wipe off the makeup. She wet the washcloth and began to scrub her eyes.

     The door opened quietly. "Go away, Annabeth," Piper grumbled.

     "I would, but I'm not a girl."