Drifting Away :Chapter 22

I picked up, "Hey Ava what's up you haven't been responding to my texts nor my calls. I got the mission figured out and planned." Alexander said with enthusiasm.
"Well what time is it?", I ran my arm across my mouth cleaning up my drool.
"I mean it's 1:45pm-"
I shouted, "WHAT?!" Scrambling to my feet, rushing towards the closet.
"Yeah and I kind of need you to be her right now"
"Omg Alexander I'm so sorry I'm going", I slipped into a t shirt.
Then noticed it was way too wrinkled, I dashed back to the closet ,slipping on a velvet pink shirt. Sprinting down the hall, racing to Alexander's, my hair up into a braided pony tail and my skirt waving along with the wind. I panted walking up to the door, "I'm here. I'm so sorry", I leaned on my knees for support as I caught my breath. We entered inside, the cold air hitting me as I walked in, Adalyn remained on the couch looking up at me with a type of annoyed look in her eyes but with some other emotion intertwined.
"It's okay, I need y'all to follow the plan I made for y'all" he continued going over the details.
I stared at his features again ,smiling, his eyes, his nose, his mouth. Before being interrupted by the hazy grimly stares I received from both of them.
We were now in the Tahoe that was designated for us, Adalyn got in the drivers seat and I clumped down into the passenger seat. Buckling up, "Hmm do you think she's involved?" I looked over to Adalyn who was starting the car.
"Maybe"
"Hope we find something good"
"Possibly." The gps guided us through constantly talking over our conversation. The sun beamed down on the window, causing a blinding glare. "Hey could you hand my shades? I forgot I was driving."
I reached over for them, "Hey I'm usually not the type to get in people's business but-" ,I began to feel my blood level slowly drop; through my whole body like a thermometer. "Do you like have a thing with Alexander?" Adalyn questioned. I stiffened trying to decide if I should come clean or lie, realizing that I was taking too long to respond. "Is it obvious?" The words rolled out dementedly, regretting the reply as soon as Adalyn responded. "Most likely"
"No I just think he's really nice, he saved me from my past." I added in attempt to hide my shakiness in my voice.
"Yoo I look like a hippie." Adalyn viewed herself in the rear view mirror making faces.
"Where's my phone and the papers?"
I began searching, "I'm craving pretzels do you want to go get one later?"
"Sure. Why not?" ,I answered still nervous; wondering if she believed me.
Making our way toward the door, scanning the perimeter how a couple of plastic pink flamingos stood on the yard swaying crookedly. The white knee high fence broke off in random areas, the yard was small yet so destructive. The water hose dragged all the way to the flamingos, an old beach chair remained by the window. "Did you say something?" Adalyn peeked back at me, I shook my head.
She took over knocking on the door, not long before I heard the lock unlatch. An older woman about in her 50's answered or possibly more with all the wrinkles embarked and her skin tight to her bones.
Wearing old fashioned eye shadow color, white blonde hair warped in short curls. Wearing a neon workout bra with some pink darker yoga spandex.
"Hello Barbie Deb", Adalyn greeted.
"Oh nobody calls me that anymore." She flaunted sounding cheerful, I guess Alexander's info was wrong. "Are y'all here for a girls night out?"
"Do you sell the pink packages?", Adalyn sounded really suspicious pressing all these questions one by one. "Oh darling they come in all colors", Deb happily informed, eyeing us.
"Pardon me for asking but why do a couple of pretty chicks want to do drugs?" "I mean especially these." She creased her cheek bones, keeping a friendly face; seeming so innocent. "Just for the moment." Adalyn replied with no emotion, "How much?"
"This stuff is too strong it'll change y'alls life."
Deb slipped out a pink package that came in a candy like wrapper. Adalyn extended her hand to retrieve it, Deb placed it on her palm. "It's on me since y'alls beauty pays." She complimented in a hysterical tone, the sun reflected off her eyes.
Adalyn studied her face, "How do you know I won't snitch you out? Or if I'm the feds?" ,She taunted only making things worse. I mean we already got what we needed which was evidence, "Oh dazzled girl I trust you, I know if I were to get caught it wouldn't be because of you." Deb persuaded keeping her light sugary tone despite the scratchiness from her throat. She kind of reminded me of Cinderella on crack, "Well how do you know you trusted wrong?" Adalyn eagerly persisted. "Because doll I wouldn't let burnouts come by unless they told me who they heard it from." She now crossed her arms, in boredom; but still keeping her frantic smile. "Oh and honey bun I know I won't get caught by you so that's why I released this confession."
"Catch my drift?" ,her eyes sparkled as she exchanged glances at us.
Closing the door behind me, buckling myself in, "She must have really good supervision to have that sort of confidence." I added, clicking on the seat belt, "I've never bought drugs." I flickered my eyes back to Adalyn who rose up the little baggy, "For free?"
"In general."
"Well you just did." Adalyn flicked the baggy like a tea bag. The words imprinted on it read, "Pexel" such an exotic word. "We need to give this to the lab." Adalyn handed me the baggy, "I wonder what's in this stuff." My thumb making circles feeling the material causing the bag to crackle. "Looks cool but weird." The cover had a green fly catcher plant in a cool design almost graffiti like, with the pexel letters melting above like slime. The plant had its' eyes closed and tongue out very explicit.
"Hippie eyes", Adalyn mimicked her usual faces in the rear view mirror.
"So where to next?" I asked while putting away the baby in a secure black sand which bag.
"The Bowen's." Adalyn replied, driving onto the street again.
Pulling up in front of an average light caramel painted house, we rang the doorbell. Seconds after a beautiful, cute girl appeared waiting for a response. Huge hazel eyes, hair pulled up in a bun, raspberry lip color. "Hey ,is James Bowen here?" Adalyn took over again, "DAAD! It's for you!" The girl shouted unexpectedly,making me jump a little.
A tall older man popped up, broad shoulders, smooth skin texture, big eyes. "Can I help you?" He sounded with much authority almost like a cop, I stepped up. "Have you ever heard of Lizbeth?"
His nose crinkled, "Who are you some cops?" He sounded frustrated now, I hated people who thought it was okay to immediately start raising their voice just because they don't appear to like something.
"I don't need to give explanations. I'm her friend."
He was beginning to open his mouth as to speak but I intuitively began speaking, "And if I were it shouldn't matter to you." My eyebrows narrowed closely, "You come to my house for my help and you decide to yell at me?! No ma' am!!"
"Sir you're the one yelling." He turned around, "Listen you add! You didn't even help! Come back out or are you-. Ugh never mind that's too far. I don't have time for this."I hissed.He slammed the door behind him, in my face. Raising my shoulders I tried to calm down, but the protruding thoughts roamed around like alarms. "Get in the car!"
"Ava no!Whatever you're going to do is illegal. Don't risk it!" Adalyn suggested, "Get in the car!" I pushed, about to take action wether she stayed or left. "It's not worth it." Her voice faded to a whisper, probably realizing that James was probably inside calling the cops after her loud screaming. "BITCH!" My trashy self yelled as I slammed the door open screaming into his house. Then taking off running toward the car, my legs tingled. Jumping in looking back as James stood at the door sprinting our way. "Drive!!!" ,I signaled, Adalyn pressed on the gas. "Hey come back here!!!" ,James raced toward us running like an angry animal you could almost see the foam pouring out of his mouth.
After getting away, silence fell I was shaking from either anger or immediate regret. Adalyn kept her focus straight ahead without looking over at me, "Why did you do that?" She sounded disappointed, "It was worth it" I tried adding humor to cover up the tension. She let out a deep sigh, rolling her eyes; we had made it to Alexander's. Holding on to the baggy from earlier I observed it holding it up in the air. Knocking on the door, Alexander appeared with a smile across his face. "How'd it go?"
"We got the drugs." Adalyn joked realistically, I passed her the bag. She held it up to Alexander's face, he eyed it in shock. "That quick?"
"Yeup."
"There weren't any fights?"He taunted peering over at me, I felt a shock wave go down my body. Adalyn glanced at me from the corner of her eye smiling awkwardly. "No.",I laughed.
"I'll investigate this sending it to the lab." He stared at the baggy in his big hand. Adalyn poked me in the ribs laughing, I nervously joined.
It was the next day, viewing Steven's picture of us together from the night we went bowling. Adalyn's message came through reading, Are you ready? I replied.
Yes.
I'm outside.
On my way. I clicked send.Heading down the apartment complex to meet Adalyn. She wore her hippie glasses once again, "Pretzel?" She held the pretzel up in my direction. "Awe thanks." I reached for it, we took off to the Bowen's place again.
"I see you went with the hippie look." Resting my head on my hand while lost in thought looking out the window, nostalgic about the way Alexander had looked at me yesterday afternoon.
Arriving and parking in the same spot as yesterday we stood in front of the door. Adalyn turned her body towards me, "You want to do the honors?" She teased. "Um no it's fine" ,Giving a sheepish smile; the same girl from yesterday appeared at the door. She reminded me of her pissed off dad, giving off that vibe. Then again she had a right to, she kept glancing her beautiful, seething eyes at me. "What do you want?" She sassed, "Heyy...Remember us?" Adalyn joked slightly, "We need to know where Lizbeth is."
The girl turned away from us heading inside, peering back from the corner of her eyes. "I'm going to call my dad over." She threatened keeping her voice furiously calm. "He's not even home." Adalyn seemed annoyed, "He's asleep." The girl added, "Who really are you some kind of cops?"
"Just answer the question."
The girl walked inside holding the door as if waiting for us to join her. We stood still confused, "Uhh.." Adalyn took a step forward, "Hurry." She demanded in a sleezy tone, taking our seats on the couch. "So what do you know?" Adalyn placed her hands in her lap, observing every movement the girl made.
The other girl locked the door then took a seat on the couch beside Adalyn's. "I know her. We used to be friends."
She looked uneasy on the edge of the couch, "Well back in high school, I didn't know her till I joined this one job next to a bar, a clothing store."
"Further On we started to get close and hangout. We escalated to drugs, it was one night she slept over."
For one I was puzzled how was she saying all of this how was she opening up? Why randomly? What made her trust us? What made everyone trust us?