11

Red head introduced herself as Fox and Gabby seemed happy to see her.

Odeo and I relaxed when they started talking. But when we heard what they were talking about, we stiffened again.

"Wolf was on an assignment when she was contacted by a man named Greg Lou." Fox says while we sit in the car, sipping our shakes. "She was supposed to help him with a project. But we lost contact with her. We searched on Greg Lou and found out he works for Dax Corp. and Belle Inc."

"Wait. He's a doubly agent?" Gabby asks.

Fox nods.

"Can I ask what your name is? And not Fox." I say.

Fox laughs. "Of course, dear. The name I go by is Valerie Hugh."

I smile genuinely at that. It's easier to trust someone and like them when they have an actual name.

"Thank you, Valerie."

She smiles and nods her head once to acknowledge it.

"What else do we need to know?" Carlos asks, his smile small but his giving full attention to Valerie.

She smiles a small smile at him, her eyes showing the same.

Do these two have a thing going on? It would make sense since they obviously work together and have trained together and have been on the field together.

"Well, the meeting to be held in Contra is no easy thing to get into. However, there is a rumor of a party to be held by the CEO of Dax Inc. And we have confirmation. Most of the staff and doctors, including the ones you're looking for, will be there." Valerie accounts.

Gabby looks at us. "Are you willing to join a ball? It's rare these days."

I smile and nod excitedly.

Odeo shrugs. "If it means getting us closer to Wolf and Serene's cases. By all means, go for it. But I have a question."

Valerie raise an eyebrow. "And what would that be?"

"She disappeared three years ago, from their school. I tried looking for her for a month, but nothing came up." Odeo says quietly. "Why did you say you lost contact with her just a month and a week ago? Did you all know where she was before?"

Valeria, Gabby, and Carlos look at each other and I guess by their facial expressions, Valerie has to explain.

"She was on a mission, Odeo. She had to go back home. Contrary to what most think, her home is not the best place in the world. Only few know of her true life at home and I'm afraid she kept it from you and Gabe because she was afraid of what you'd think of her. Her mission was going fine until recently. When she was really kidnapped."

Odeo's face falls.

He must've really loved this girl. Sister or girlfriend?

Why am I even thinking of this?

"So, what now? We just go to a party?" I ask.

Valerie smiles. "Don't worry. I'll be helping."

"Wait. How did you even know we were here?" Gabby asks, a teasing smile on her face. I think she already knows the reason.

"Carlos contacted me." She says simply, though her eyes locked on Carlos say otherwise. It's simply more than that.

"Okay. Now we have a team of four. With Carlos and Gabe as eyes in their bases." Gabby recounts. She looks at her watch.

"We have two more hours." Gabby says. "And we need lunch."

We get drive-through and talk. Well, Carlos, Gabby, and Valerie do most of the talking, catching up on the latest news.

Odeo and I eat in mostly silence and talk about our worries and fun things we wish we could do.

"Wish I met you under normal circumstances." Odeo says.

I laugh. "Odeo, you did meet me under normal circumstances. You're the one who changed that into something not normal."

He chuckles and shrugs. "True."

I throw away the trash and sigh.

"Are you okay? Are you nervous for the party?" He asks, putting a hand on my shoulder, making me look at him.

I put on a smile. "I guess."

Truth is, I'm nervous about all of this. I don't even know what to think or do. What if I stayed with Hannah and didn't go on this adventure with Odeo? Or what if we finally find out what happened to me or find this mystery girl? Wolf? What's going to happen? To me, to us?

Will things with Odeo and Gabby and the others stay the same or will they change?

"Serene..."

"Odeo, I'm fine."

I place my hand on top of his and give it a little squeeze.

He smiles but I know he doesn't believe me.

We reach the airport at four. We check in, go through x-rays, immigration, and other requirements.

Carlos said goodbye and headed home. He'll be keeping in touch with Gabe to help us with whatever we need.

"First thing we do when we get to Contra is shop!" Valerie says with a big smile on her face.

"Valerie..." Gabby says with a little warning in her voice.

"Oh come on, Gabby. You know we have to go shopping. Besides, Streak is a whole other place. We can't wear plain colors. We need striped outfits." Valeria argues with a wave of her hand.

I smile at that.

"But Valerie, it seems like you don't really follow dress codes." I say. "You wear bright colors."

She laughs. "True. But I do pay respect and blend in when I want to. But once we get to Contra, we have to change. There are many people looking for you."

I nod, understanding. Valerie's wearing another pink suit that makes her fair complexion stand out. Her red hair is straightened and let loose to fall loosely around her shoulders.

She does stand out when she wants to.

Our flight is called and we follow the rest of the crowd that's headed for Contra.

Just as we sit down, someone calls out a name and Odeo freezes.

"James Brown?"

The question comes off as quiet and fragile as if the name itself would break when called.

I look at Odeo, who's sitting beside me. A stranger on my other side.

Odeo's stiff posture tells me something's wrong. He doesn't looke back to whoever might've called him.

Instead he looks at me and mutters, "I should've dyed my hair and wore contacts or something."