Forty-Five: The Blood Tower

Start from the beginning

"I suppose I can do that," she said, expecting him to let go of her wrist, but his tongue darted out and slid over the soft area above her rapid pulse. Her hand jerked, and he chuckled.

"When dinner is over, we're feeding, me and you," came his voice against her ear. "I can't wait to taste the honey on your blood, Lia darling."

Her pretty little nose turned as red as her hair as she moved away, averting her gaze. "Shouldn't we get dressed? Or is this not a formal occasion?"

He was smiling wide, knowing he'd flustered her. He noticed small things about her now, like how she would try to cover up her embarrassment when he teased her. Or how her face would flame blood-red. Or even how there would be that cute little twitch of her mouth, because secretly, she loved it when he shamelessly flirted with her. "I don't think we need to dress up for the occasion. At least, I don't want our good clothes to suffer much damage when you start feeding soon after. We both know how much you like to rip my clothes."

"Oh my Moon," she groaned, covering her face with her hands. "I'll never live it down."

He began to laugh. "Don't worry, Lia darling, I think it's hot on you. This might sound vulgar, but it makes me hard at the thought of you ripping my clothes. I wouldn't mind if you actually tore into—"

"Rushika!" she exclaimed, now laughing.

"Ah so my female hasn't forgotten my true name." He came behind her and squeezed her sides. That earned a squeal from her as she twirled around before he could reach under her arms and really make her scream from laughter.

Her arms went around his neck, her fingers clutching his black hair. "Of course I didn't forget. What kind of person would I be if I forgot your name?"

"An outrageous one. You can never forget a memorable name such as mine."

"Don't be so arrogant, your name isn't that memorable," she countered, but she bit her lip and he knew she was teasing him.

"Oh, really?" he taunted. "Are you perfectly sure about that?"

"Mmhmm. In fact, my name is much more memorable than yours."

"What did you say? That my name's forgettable and yours is not?" His hands moved up from her sides. "What an outrageous female." Then her laughing did start when his fingers found just where they needed to be. The sound was pleasant on his ears, and the thought that she was finally laughing--finally happy--gave him a rush of relief.

Her arms pulled him closer and she was gasping. He stopped before she really was out of breath, and just held her like that, with her smiling wide like him. Then she pressed her lips close to his ear and whispered his name again. And again. And suddenly, they weren't smiling anymore. Her gaze found his, and then they lowered to his lips. From the slight flush on her cheeks, he knew what she wanted.

"Kiss me," he whispered. "Don't shy away from your male. All of me belongs to you."

That was all she needed to hear. Her hands moved to his face and she leaned in, brushing her lips against his. The touch felt so innocent, like he knew she was. He felt her breath on his mouth, the way her fingers trembled against his skin because he was her true mate. There wasn't a feeling in the realm that could compare with the feelings of touching your mate, of being one with your mate...of acknowledging your mate.

Before she could shy away, he caught her bottom lip with his teeth, earning a gasp from her. Then her brown eyes darkened to black, and she crushed their lips together. His body jolted hard, and he clutched her tighter. For a moment, his mind stopped working. He gave into her touch, her kiss, the feel of her against him as she tasted him.