Twenty-Nine: Consequence

JUST LOOK AT HOW HAWT SHE IS. Thank you @lunalove21!!!

I'm going to start working soon so updates may be slower than usual, but here's one of the chapters you were anticipating for a while. 

*******************

*Rush*

The rest of the night went smoothly. Maddox was mostly aloof, but he did greet Aletha and ask about her pack a little more. Aletha, on the other hand, seemed terrified of him. Her skin had gone noticeably pale as she watched him with wariness in her gaze. She probably heard that the Death Alpha had once murdered his own Luna, and that would terrify anyone. If Maddox could kill his own mate, what couldn't he do?

Rush wanted to laugh. If only they knew what really happened. Maybe he should tell Aletha the real story behind Maddox and Iyla, although he preferred to refrain himself from thinking it and the raw memories it triggered.

Iyla had asked about the Luna Trials later on when Aletha was taken up to his chambers by the guards. Rush didn't have to tell her anything else. Iyla saw the still-black veins on his neck and her eyes clouded over with rage and a sense of protection. Responsibility. Pain. Like she let him down. But Rush shook his head, telling her to be Aletha's friend. She needed a friend other than Sirka. She needed someone to confide in, someone who could teach her how to be stronger in nature than just in physical force.

The Death Luna reluctantly agreed. "She will fall in love with you by the time I leave this pack," she promised him.

Rush only gave her a smile. He didn't know if Aletha would ever love him. He didn't even know if she cared for him. Although she did trust him and she did feel safe around him now, there was still a long way to go.

And now he was back in his chambers, the smell of his sleeping mate wafting through the warm air. There was only a few days until full moon arrived. Until his mother arrived from the lands of Castira with her vampires. He could feel it, that female wanted another bloodbath, and she wasn't fazed that it would be in her own son's pack. She hated Rush more than anything, blaming his existence as the reason for his father's departure without any intention of marrying her or acknowledging his sons.

Rush didn't particularly care about his mother's burning hatred for him. He didn't care that his own father hadn't once acknowledged him either. Rush had even killed that motherfucker with a grin on his face--that was how remorseless he felt with his birthparents. He did not love them. They had given him nothing but endless darkness. They had given him his dominion in the night.

He looked beyond the arching window on his wall, into the vast perimeters of his territory. The sky hadn't yet broken into dawn, but he could tell that dawn was approaching. It would bring the sun and the day would come. The night would fade away into nothing until the sun burned away and left the lands prey to the darkness once more.

That was the sun's consequence. Without it, only night remained. Only Rush remained. He was sunless. He no longer needed the sun.

He heard the stirring of a body against his bed sheets. A soft moan escaped into the air, and in the silence, he could even feel the nuance of her feminine voice brushing against the hairs of his skin. It was somewhat agitated, like a strangled breath or a suppressed scream. He turned away from his gaping window and eyed the female on his bed.

Aletha was still sleeping. She didn't complain anymore about remaining in his room or sleeping with him. She seemed to accept staying close to his proximity, because she knew he could be very firm with her when it came to sensitive things. He wouldn't let her go out of his sight because he'd done it once and she'd almost taken her life. He'd done it again and she'd escaped back to her old lover. It would take him a while to trust her completely again.