Two: Burning Grey

*Aletha*

"Mate," she whispered, out of breath. She couldn't let him catch her, not when she was already the bride of another Alpha. She had to run away. She could never be with him.

But those burning grey eyes had made a secret promise to her. She could still feel them burning, promising that he'd make her his. She knew this was just the beginning. He would soon return and demand for Lucien to give her to him. But she knew Lucien, and he would never relent.

Why did he have to come?

She always prayed to the Goddess for her mate to never find her. After everything Lucien had done for her, she could never leave him. She loved him. He meant everything to her. He'd given her life, a home, love, and the status as his Luna. He'd marked her in front of his throne under the witness of the entire Shadow Pack and gave her his vows. Marking her meant marriage. He'd married her. How could she let go of her husband?

She could never let go of him.

But now that she saw her mate, she knew why Lucien had always been so cautious to love her. He told her if he gave her his heart, her mate would tear it away one day. But after years of living together, neither him nor her had a choice but to love one another.

And now a male was getting between them. Her mate was getting between them. The Alpha with the burning grey eyes and dark features that gave away his ancestry from the Darklands. Since she lived in the Darklands, she knew from the raw power emanating from him that he ruled one of the three largest packs in the Dark territory. Lucien ruled the Shadow Pack, and Alpha Maddox ruled the Death Pack. She'd seen glimpses of him and many called him terrifying. Aletha couldn't agree more. Alpha Maddox looked like a demon in the form of a male. He loved to kill, and he had dark magic that could rip his enemy into pieces in a flash of a second.

Which meant her mate was Alpha Rushika of the Night Pack, conventionally known as Alpha Rush. He was called the Alpha of nightmares and seduction in her pack. He got his first reputation because he was known to be one of the strongest Alphas in the realm, friends to other strong Alphas. Going against him meant death. As for his second reputation, he was very attractive. He had sharp masculine features, with a strong face and jaw structure, built frame, and a deep, husky voice. His skin was a very light shade of tan, and his dark hair reached down to his neck in waves. He looked like he was made for the night and all of its sin. She heard many whispers of females claiming how he was a female's darkest fantasy, how he could satiate any hunger, how he could please and torment and make his victims willingly submit to him.

How could she have never seen him before when their packs were right next to each other?

Aletha entered the Shadow Pack territory, and the guards let her through the instant they noticed her crimson wolf. She was not from here, hence her crimson fur. She had been from the Ironlands, the lands of the south. There, most wolves were red. Until they were slaughtered by vampires. Now red fur was considered a rarity.

"Luna," the castle guards greeted her as they held the gates open for her to enter. She gave them a nod and entered through the gates. She still thought she was in a dream every time she looked at Lucien's castle. All Alphas had a main castle, and their Lunas were to stay in them after the marking ceremony that connected them by marriage. This would be the castle they would have children. This was the castle where the Alpha's throne was.

Aletha finally shifted back when she went inside the castle. She went in their chamber and slid on a loose gown. Then she went around the room and lit the candles. She didn't like the darkness. Ever since her family was murdered, she had been afraid of the night.

When she lit the last candle, she heard Lucien enter their chamber.

His arms wrapped around her and his mouth was on her neck. She could smell blood on him, and he was angry. He was breathing roughly and his grip on her was tighter than usual. "Aletha, I love you."

"I know," she whispered, meeting his dark gaze. "Just because my mate found me doesn't mean I'll leave you--"

"No, he's not your mate," he growled, shaking her with his grip. "I am your mate. This mark is proof." He touched the base of her neck where he marked her. Sparks erupted all over her skin before his mouth found her mark again and his teeth dug in. "You're my Luna, you're my wife. He can't take you away from me. He can't...he can't."

Her knees shook as she breathed harshly. "He won't take me away from you." She wrapped her arms around his neck, her body arching with pleasure as he marked her again. "He's not my mate. You're my mate."