Thirteen: Ashes and Dust

*Rush*

In a matter of seconds, the room grew colder. It wasn't because of her, he knew. It was because his wrath had dimmed the fire. Rush didn't like using whatever amount of shriveling magic he'd inherited from his father, because it was dark and it made him dark, cruel, heartless.

"What I do with myself is none of your concern," she replied sharply.

"Of course it's my fucking concern," he countered, eyes narrowing. Did she even consider just once what taking her life would do to him? He suspected she didn't, because he meant nothing to her. "My mate's concern is my concern."

"You don't own me," she snarled.

"I don't," he agreed, closing the space between them. He could smell her sweet scent, and it made his blood rush out of control. Damn, he wanted to taste her. Her thick blood against his tongue...he wanted her. "But you are my mate. Our souls are tied, love. There's no denying that."

She took a step back from him. "Don't come near me!"

But he wasn't the one to listen, not when his senses were driven wild with desire for her. And especially not when she was trying to back out of the situation. He took in a harsh breath, and it sounded almost animalistic. "You need to let him go, Aletha. He is not yours. You're not his either. You and Lucien were never meant to be." He took her hand and sparks exploded at their touch. He heard her gasp, and the sound was enough to make him shiver. Damn it. He'd been very careful not to touch her, because it would trigger more of his senses, and he didn't like losing control, especially not around her. He caressed her knuckles with his thumb. It felt like he was touching silk. "We are meant to be. You and I...we are something more than what you will ever be with him. He never gave all of himself to you, but love, I can give all of me to you. I'm willing to do that because I'm not heartless."

"No," she whispered shakily. "You are heartless. You don't know love!"

"I don't?" he asked, his grip on her hand tightening. Her breath hitched as he pulled her closer toward him. Her chest rubbed hard against his abdomen, and he almost growled. "Sweetheart, don't say things that you don't know. I know what it feels like to love. I've loved before. But she belongs to someone else." He felt Aletha's body tense up at the mention of another female. "She already has a mate. She could never be mine—it was never meant to be. So you know what I did? I let her go. She's not meant for me, just as Lucien's not meant for you."

"If you loved before then why are you asking me to forget about Lucien?" she asked.

"I'm not asking you to forget about him. I can't control your mind. You can't help who you fall in love with, but you can help who you choose to be with. I am asking you to let him go, because that's the honorable thing to do."

"You know no honor because you have none," she gritted out, but she was shaking. She was losing control of herself. She wanted to hurt him. "You have none! You're not honorable at all!"

Rush smiled. "I'm not honorable? Maybe you should ask my pack and you'll receive your true answer, mate."

"I can't stand you."

He pressed her head against his chest, forcing her to smell him. "Love, I can't stand you either," he replied, his fingers moving against her blood-red hair. He felt her body give in to his touch, his smell, his essence. All her rigidity collapsed, and she exhaled, taking him in, letting his scent fill her up.

"Why are you like this?" she finally asked.

"Because you're full of unpleasant surprises. I don't like surprises, Aletha. Especially not the shit that you almost pulled off." He pulled away from her slightly, but not enough to separate her body from his. He was watching her face, taking in her graceful cheekbones and dark eyes. "Do I have to worry about more unpleasant surprises or can you behave?"