Chapter 43

"Who are you?"

He gave me an evil grin. "Oh, come now. I think we both know you know the answer to that question."

I looked down, fighting the fear raising the hair on the back of my neck. "You're Kellan," I answered.

He stopped in front of me, grey eyes flashing. "Dustin's little pet. So nice of you to join us."

I could feel his eyes locking onto mine. I pushed my energy harder, cloaking my mind with all my effort. "I want to go now," I whispered.

"You can go when I get what I want, and I think you know what that is."

I swallowed hard. "You want Dustin."

He turned and began pacing the floor. "In essence, yes. But I want so much more than that. I want a world where vampires are as they should be. Where we live by night, hunting and ravaging, and sleep while the light of the sun rages. I want the world under my fingertips, with Shadowfall running things. Do you know, Katie, that because of the Eternals, we must behave as though we aren't the superior race? Our power is limited by ones like your Dustin, because they fear upsetting the balance. But I'm tired of the balance, and I'm ready to take my followers into a new world."

The thick grey Aura surrounding his form was vibrating wildly. "Why?" I whispered. "What's wrong with the current balance?"

"Stupid cattle!" he spat at me, little bits of wetness landing on my cheek. "We are the superior race, and as history teaches us, the superior race is supposed to rule supreme. Instead, our metaphorical wings are clipped, and we are forced to live like hermits, or bend to the standards of your human race. Either way of life is insulting!"

I tried to step back, away from his anger, but he pushed his face into mine. "Why do you have to hurt Dustin to get what you want?"

"Because your precious day walker is one of the leaders of the force against my vision. He will fight until his death to ensure the balance, and I will see to it that his death comes soon." He spun on Daemon. "How did you get to her?"

"She was walking around outside on the campus," he replied, shrugging.

"You fool!" Kellan smashed his fist into Daemon's nose. I tried not to smile as blood poured down his face. "Do you really think they would let Dustin's treasured princess out alone after what happened to Shawn? You were set up!"

Daemon struggled to speak. "No one else was around. We weren't followed, and I mind controlled her to get her to go quietly."

"Mind controlled her?" Kellan was screaming now. "You couldn't mind control a slug! She tricked you to find out where we were holding Shawn. Get out of my face!" He slammed his hand into Daemon's chest and sent him flying into the stone wall. Daemon slumped to the floor, and half crawled out the door, a trail of blood trickling behind him.

Panic began to set in as I realized I was in trouble.

"Now," he turned back to me. "Who knows you are here?"

I closed my eyes briefly, initiating the wall to block my mind, putting all my energy into securing my thoughts.

"No one," I whispered. "Dustin fell asleep and I snuck out to get some alone time."

"I can tell if you are lying." His eyes darkened. "I know that fool couldn't control you, so why did you come with him?"

I figured I'd better come clean. "I thought maybe I could talk to you. Try to convince you that there doesn't have to be a fight. There must be some way you can come to an agreement with the Eternals."