Chapter 37

I followed her out the door and down the hall to a room with double doors. "This is where I practice." She pushed the doors open and stood aside for me to enter.

The room was huge, and the floor was covered with wrestling mats. It was filled with various workout equipment, and there were mirrors lining the walls.

"I had no idea this room was here." I turned slowly in a circle, taking it all in.

"I don't usually let anyone in here." She changed into a pair of sneakers. "There's another pair over there if you want to wear them."

I followed her gaze to a box loaded with Nikes and Reeboks. "What are we going to practice?"

"You have enhanced strength and it's important to know how to handle it without accidentally hurting someone."

I nodded, and grabbed a pair of tennis shoes from the box. "Okay, it's been awhile since I've had a good workout."

Kaitlyn took a moment to stretch her long legs. "I know you are used to sparring with Dustin, so I think we will start there. You won't hurt me, so I don't want you to hold back." She took her defensive stance.

I took a deep breath and put my hands up in front of my face. Kaitlyn met my eyes and nodded. We came towards each other, bouncing on our toes. It took only a moment for her to put me on my back.

She stood up and reached her hand down to help me stand. "Focus on anticipating your opponent's moves. You have enhanced speed in addition to your strength, so when someone is coming at you, you can get out of the way, successfully avoiding their attack."

I nodded and regained my footing. "Let's try again."

She rushed at me, and I sidestepped her, sending her speeding past me. She smiled. "Excellent. Now, I want you to push me when I come at you. Use all your strength to keep me from knocking you down."

I took my stance and waited for her. She rushed me again, putting all her speed into her legs. I pushed my hand out and hit her square in the chest, throwing her back into the wall. "Oh my God, Kaitlyn, I'm so sorry!" I ran towards her, leaning over her crumpled body.

She shook it off and smiled. "Good work!"

I stepped back while she got to her feet. "I didn't know I could do that."

"There's a lot you are capable of. You just need to practice. I'm going to come at you again, and I want you to throw me."

I raised my eyebrows. "Throw you?" I wasn't exactly thrilled to be battling a trained Guardian.

"Pick me up and toss me out of your way. You can do it." She encouraged, as she resumed her stance.

I readied myself as she came towards me. I took a deep breath and focused my eyes on her rapidly approaching figure. All the sudden, she appeared to be moving in slow motion, her face a mask of determination. I reached out when she got within grabbing distance and picked her up, heaving her body away from me. She twisted in the air and landed on her feet, rushing me again. I wrapped my arms around her and flung her again, keeping my eyes on her the entire time. She curled herself into a ball and rolled gracefully to the matted floor.

"Wow." She stood up and shook her head. "Your strength is surprising. I think if we practice for the rest of the time you are here, you could easily pass for a Guardian."

I was excited by her faith in my skill. I had always been able to fight, but now that I was living in the supernatural world, I knew I needed to fight on a whole new level.

"How about we lift some weights. Let's see what you can do against the bench press."

Kaitlyn and I worked out for another hour, lifting weights, and testing my strength abilities. I pushed myself harder than I ever had before, but I didn't tire, and instead, felt like I could go forever. I trickle of sweat rolled down my brow as I finished a set of squats.

"I think that's enough for now." Kaitlyn tossed me a towel and removed her tennis shoes, replacing them with the glittered flats she usually wore. "Let's go see what Savannah and Dustin are up to."

I wiped my face and followed her out of the makeshift gym.

"You did really well today. It's important that you master not only the mental aspects of your gifts, but the physical as well. People will underestimate you, and you want to have the upper hand at all times. If you can't take them mentally, you can take them physically."

I nodded slowly. "Dustin gave me this necklace that's supposed to give me enhanced strength. He said he had Savannah enchant it for me." I pulled the chain out from under my shirt.

Kaitlyn paused and took the charm in her hand. "This can help you harness your energy if you need more than your natural abilities provide. Always keep it on, since you can't have too much help when it comes to fighting something that wants to hurt you. You are a powerful force, Katie, as long as you keep your wits about you."

A/N-Not only is Katie stronger mentally, but she's kicking butt physically too! What's your favorite kick butt workout? Comment and vote below!! Luvs as always!! AM