Chapter 30

A/N-For those of you who have finished the story, it originally ended on Chapter 30, but with the shortened chapters, it has extended further. The story will remain the same, but some chapters are split into two parts. Thank you for reading!!! Luv you all!! AM

After we finished our meal, we headed out to the stables.  I knew immediately that Shadow Caster could sense me.  She moved to the front of her stall and watched me intently.  "Hey girl."  I ran my hand down her muzzle.  "Feel like riding?"  She moved around excitedly, gently stomping her hooves.

                "Would you like me to saddle her for you?"  A voice came from behind me. I turned around to see a handsome blond young man standing next to the tack room, his hat in his hands.  "I don't believe we have met.  I'm Alex.  Savannah told me you guys might be ridin' while you're visitin'."  His voice was soft, and held a hint of Texas drawl.

                Dustin and I exchanged a glance.  "I'm Katie and this is Dustin."  Dustin held out his hand, and Alex stepped forward to shake it.  The minute their hands touched, Alex became ringed in a brownish glow.

                "Do you work for Savannah?"  I asked, trying to ignore the pulsating light emanating from his form.

                "Yes ma'am."  He fiddled with the brim of his hat.  "Miss Savannah has been kind enough to give me a job carin' for her beautiful horses.  I mostly work on this ranch, but occasionally I accompany her to her other properties, to care for those animals as well."

                The glow began to recede, as Alex looked from me to Dustin.  "Can I help you guys get ready for your ride?"

                "Sure.  I'd like to take Shadow Caster.  If you can get me her tack, I know how to put it on."

                He bowed his head slightly.  "Yes ma'am.  Sir, do you have a horse in mind?" 

                Dustin walked slowly down the row of stalls.  "I'd like to ride the Arabian at the end."  He pointed to a dark brown horse, who was looking directly at him.

                "Good choice, sir.  Amaretto is one of my favorites.  I'll be back in a moment with the tack." 

                I grabbed Dustin's hand as soon as Alex headed to the tack room.  I linked my eyes to his and sent him a mental message.  "Alex is a werewolf."

                He narrowed his eyes at me.  "Are you sure?"

                "Of course, I'm sure.  He has a brown Aura and Brian told me that brown is the werewolf energy color.  I have never met a werewolf before."

                His posture stiffened.  "Savannah must have him cloaked, otherwise I would have known right away."

                I broke eye contact when Alex came around the corner carrying two saddles and two bridles.  "These here are Shadow Caster's."  He set her equipment down in front of her stall, and hauled the second set to Amaretto's stall.  "I'll be around doin' barn chores for a while.  Let me know if you need anything.  It's always nice to meet friends of Miss Savannah."  He tipped his hat.

                "Thank you."  I watched him leave, a million questions running through my mind.  How was I able to see Alex's aura and Dustin couldn't? Why would Savannah need to cloak him? Even though the Aura's themselves didn't bother me anymore, it was still unnerving to realize that someone who looked like a regular human, was hiding a secret identity.  I knew very little about the other Supernaturals outside of vampires and Magic Casters, and it made me more curious to know how the other groups functioned.