Chapter 1

I found out, much later, they had been watching me from the beginning.              

                "Is that her?"

                "Yes, she arrived yesterday."

                "She looks harmless."

                "They all do at first."

                "You know, it won't kill you to give her a chance."

                "You don't know that.  We need to make sure she doesn't get too close.  Do you want a repeat of last year?"

                "I'll let everyone know.  We won't let anything happen, but don't draw too much attention with your angry attitude.  We have to handle this delicately."

                "I'll handle it however I see fit.  I'm in charge here."

                "Always the stoic leader.  Come on, we're going to be late."

*                                *                                *

                  Amblyn Hall loomed in front of me, its red brick exterior soaring up four stories.  I looked at my schedule, reminding myself which floor would be my new home.  I sighed with relief when I realized I didn't have to climb a ton of stairs.

                I shouldered my duffel bag and pulled the building key card from my jeans pocket. No entrance without the proper documentation.  Room 1C was on my right, and I went in without knocking.

                Sprawled across one of the beds was the prettiest girl I had ever seen. Of course, I had seen models and actresses on TV and in magazines, but this girl was sitting in front of me, and she was gorgeous.

                "Hey," I pushed the door all the way open. "I'm Katie Griffin. I think I might be your new roommate."

                She looked up from her iPhone and smiled. "Well, if these five boxes that were just delivered are yours, I think you're right." Her dark green eyes crinkled when she smiled. "I'm Dani...Dani LeFores."

                I dropped my bag on the empty bed and surveyed the room. My boxes were all stacked in the corner, and there was a dresser and desk facing the window. Dani's side of the room was set up the same, but it didn't look like any of her stuff had arrived yet.

                I was about to launch into the 'get to know you' portion of the meet and greet, when the door opened. A tall, handsome guy walked into the room carrying a stack of boxes. "Where do you want these?" He spared me only a brief glance.

                "Put them in the corner," Dani got up and opened the closet.  "I hope there's gonna be enough room in here."

                "There's three more boxes." The guy looked irritated as he ran his hand through his dark, wavy hair.

                "Good thing you're nice and strong," she smiled at him, her pouty lips a stark contrast to her playful mood.

                I was getting the feeling that these two were more than just passing friends. When they stood next to each other, they made a beautiful couple, both dark and alluring. I stamped down my twinge of jealousy. Girls like Dani always got the guys.

                "This is my new roommate," Dani gestured my way. "Katie, this is my brother Dustin."

                Ahhhh, her brother. I smiled and extended my hand. "Nice to meet you."