Chapter 33

Dani arrived early the next morning, bearing a smile and my favorite Mocha.  I flew out of the house the minute I heard her pull up, and flung myself at her, knocking us both to the ground.

"Wow!  I missed you too!"  She managed to keep a hold of my Mocha, as I stood up and pulled her to her feet.  "Looks like you haven't lost your super strength!"

"I'm so glad you are here."  I took her hand and led her towards the house. 

"How are you?"  She looked at me, her eyes searching mine.

I started to crumble, and tears streamed down my face.  "I have never hurt this much in my entire life."  I struggled to keep my voice even. 

She wrapped me in her arms.  "What happened?"

I pulled away and tried to compose myself.  "Let's go sit in the library.  I'll tell you everything."

We settled on the flowered couch.  "I know something happened with you and Dustin.  Do you feel like talking about it?"  She took my hands in hers, and gasped.  "Katie?"  She held my hand up and stared at the ring, questioningly.

"Yah."  I pulled my hand back and dropped it in my lap.  "I screwed that up really bad."

"Did he ask you to marry him?"  She asked, incredulously.

I nodded.

"Well, you're wearing the ring, so what happened?"

"God, Dani, I let my stupid insecurities ruin everything.  I told him that I was worried that we only felt this way because of the Link."

"Ahhh."  She leaned back and sighed.  "That's not good.  I know you don't want to hear this, but I did tell you that he's very intense.  Once he feels a certain way, he gives his whole heart to it.  Have you talked to him since he left?"

I shook my head.  "I've left tons of messages, but he won't answer or call me back.  I don't know what to do, but I have never felt this much pain in my life."

She looked at me, sympathetically.  "I know he loves you, and I'm sure he's gotten your messages.  He just needs some time to cool off.  But if I hear from him, I'll try to talk some sense into him."

I hugged her tightly.  "Thank you."

"Now let me see the ring!"  She grabbed my hand again, and let out a low whistle.  "He must have dropped a pretty penny on this.  It's huge."

I looked at it and nodded.  "It's the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.  I love him so much.  God, I hope he comes back soon, because I can't wait to start planning my life with him."

"Katie, I don't want to be a downer, but have you really thought about this?  I know you are wrapped up in missing him, and you want to be with him, but Dustin is immortal.  I want you guys to be happy, but things like this have kind of a low success rate after about 80 years, when you are on Medicare and he still looks like he could play the lead in High School Musical."

I felt my insides turn.  "I hadn't really thought about it."

"Actually, Danielle, I'm not sure that's entirely true."  I heard Savannah enter the room.

"Savannah!"  Dani jumped up and hugged the tiny caster.  "It's good to see you."

"You look well, dear."  She held Dani at arm's length, taking her in like my grandmother does.  "I trust you have been doing better since the last time I saw you."

Dani's eyes darkened.  "Yes, things are a lot better.  Actually, Katie helped me get back to my old self."  She shot me a loving look.  "What were you saying when you came in?"  She sat back down next to me.