Chapter Thirty

Depuis le début

"Why didn't you tell anyone?" she asked skeptically.

Jewel shuffled her paws, a distressed look on her face. "I knew how much he had suffered... I couldn't blame him for wanting to kill Fable. I wish things would have been different. If I could have helped him, I would have."

"It seems like you care a good deal about him," Frostfeather observed, "but why?"

Jewel stared hard into Frostfeather's eyes, her pupils dilating as she started to speak, "I have always cared for Fable's kits. But how could I confess what I thought about how she was raising them? Even though she was my littermate, she was always prideful."

Understanding, clear as rain, washed over Frostfeather. "So Fable was your sister," she breathed.

Jewel shifted her gaze, looking at the camp wall behind Frostfeather. "Yes, Fable was my sister," she purred, "no one remembers, or are too young to remember. But I think I prefer it that way."

"Do you think Cassius is ever going to stop?" Frostfeather mewed quietly.

Jewel returned her cold stare back to Frostfeather, her shoulders stiff and her tail tip twitching. "No... I don't think he will stop until all of the Dockcats are dead."

Jewel must have seen the terror in her eyes, she leaned forward to nuzzle Frostfeather comfortingly. "But you never intended to stay here forever," she pointed out, "perhaps that just means that you and your friends should leave."

"I'm not sure everyone will want to leave," Frostfeather muttered, "this feels like home to them now."

"Maybe you should consult with your group leader," Jewel suggested calmly. Frostfeather knew they hadn't formally appointed a new leader, but Elkleap had selflessly taken the role.

"Yeah, I'll go talk with him," Frostfeather agreed, "thanks."

Jewel waved her tail as Frostfeather started to pad away. She wasn't sure where the brown and black tom was, he was usually glued to Sun'ka's side but she had left to take Raven to the Den of the Sky.

Turning towards Sun'ka's den, she noticed a gleam of rusty yellow eyes in the depths of the wooden box. She quickly trotted over, not wanting to waste any time.

"Elkleap," she called as she stopped a few paces away from the entrance.

"Yes?" he asked, his shoulder fur rippling as he took the few steps to bring himself into the open.

"I have been worrying," she began, casting an anxious glance behind her at Jewel, who was still sitting peacefully in the center of camp.

"When are you not worrying?" he teased as his tail curled closely around his side.

"Well, it seems most of the Dock cats are saying Cassius is going to strike another attack," she explained, "I wasn't sure when you thought we should leave? We really have overstayed our welcome, I'm sure they want to deal with their issues on their own."

The humor in Elkleap's eyes faded to be replaced by a stone-like anger. Frostfeather braced herself, unsure of what he was going to say.

"I see..." he murmured.

Frostfeather waited for him to continue but he had fallen silent. He looked up to the sky, streaked with the sun's rays as it rose for the morning.

"It isn't the way of a warrior to abandon your friends when they're in trouble," he finally meowed, "IceClan will leave, after Cassius is defeated."

Frostfeather held back a growl of frustration. After?!

"How do you expect to kill Cassius when Cairn couldn't?" she dared to ask.

"I have StarClan on my side," he grunted.

"StarClan would want you to lead their Clan to a new home," Frostfeather argued.

"How do you know what they want!" his voice suddenly boomed in anger, "our ancestors haven't spoken with you in how long?! How do you know this isn't where they wanted us to live?"

Frostfeather recoiled, surprised by his abrupt outburst. She opened her mouth for a retort but nothing came.

"Blizzardstar would understand what is keeping me here," Elkleap continued, a challenge in his usual silky tone. "He would realize how happy I am, with Sun'ka."

"But what about us?" Frostfeather whispered, her voice cracking with sadness.

"What about me," Elkleap countered, "I've lost my family, my apprentice, my entire life as warrior. With Sun'ka I feel... like everything is going to be ok."

"But it won't be ok!" Frostfeather insisted, "Cassius will come, and he won't stop until he kills everyone!"

Elkleap laughed softly, shaking his head back and fourth. "No, Cassius will not kill everyone. He will be defeated. And after he is gone, IceClan will leave. Without me."

"What?!" Frostfeather gasped, "we can't leave without you!"

Elkleap didn't respond. He had turned his attention to the camp entrance, where Sun'ka was returning with Falcon and Sparrow close behind her.

Frostfeather watched in silence as Elkleap jumped up and ran to greet her. Lily and Falcon had already disappeared into their dens. Jewel was also nowhere to be found.

Elkleap drew closer to Sun'ka, wrapping his body around her side. She leaned into him, burying her muzzle into his neck fur.

I don't see this ending well, she thought to herself as she finally stood and trotted over to her den. Inside, Stone and Pineheart were still fast asleep.

"StarClan help us," Frostfeather whispered as she tucked into her nest and fell asleep.