"That's right, kiddo. High-five." Tay grins holding up her hand.

I high-five her and turn to Papa.

"Papa, if it's okay and not too much trouble, can we get ice-cream later?" I ask quietly. It's not often I ask for much, I'm still quite nervous to.

"Yeah Kells, definitely." he smiles.

I smile to myself and look towards my parents. My father is looking back at me. His skin is pail and scabby like I remember. His face is sunken in, his eyes have dark bags under them and there's a nasty scowl on his face that I'm too familiar with.

I smile at him, showing him that I'm not afraid of him, that he should be afraid of me, that he can't hurt me anymore, that even though he and Mother hurt me I'm okay and I have better parent figures now who treat me right.

He scoffs at me and turns away but I continue to smile.

"I'm ready to do this." I sigh.

--

"How would you describe Kellin's behavior and mannerisms when he first arrived with you compared to him presently." the lady asks Mama.

"Initially, he was so anxious, so timid all the time. There was an instance where he accidentally dropped a glass and broke it, at no fault of his own. He broke down, apologizing profusely and begged us not to hurt him. There's less instances like that but they still happen. It's better as he learns to trust people. Strangers and large crowds are still a lot for him. He had an anxiety attack at the airport on our way here. He's improving though. His self confidence is a lot better too. When he first arrived, he was convinced he was too stupid to go to school. On the plane over, he proudly told me he got a C+ on his math test. He's just generally happier, more confident and he's physically and mentally healthier." Mama explains.

I love hearing her talk about me. She says the nicest things.

"How would you describe your relationship with Kellin?" the lawyer asks.

"I'd say close. We have a mother-son bond that just came naturally. I treat Kellin as if he's my own. He calls me Mama. Yeah, I'd describe our relationship as close." she smiles, locking eyes with me. I give her a smile then she looks away.

"Would you say Kellin is comfortable confiding in you? Has he done so before?" she asks.

"Definitely. But I think Kellin's just very open in general. I don't think he's learnt to keep things to himself. It's not necessarily a bad thing. It's allowed me to get a great insight to his feelings and his previous situation." she explains.

"Ah, so he has told you things about living with the accused?" she asks and Mama answers with a 'yes'. "Can you elaborate on that?"

"He has gone into detail about the living conditions, the fact that he hasn't had a bed for the last thirteen years, that he's slept on the cement floor in the basement. He hasn't talked too much about the abuse. I don't think he likes to think about it. The neglect becomes obvious in every day life. Just the little stuff, like he hasn't tried a lot of things, a lot of foods. Victor, my husband, had to teach him about puberty and sex, just things that he should already know. He even has trouble doing his buttons up on his shirts, not from lack of motor skills but from lack of education." she explains.

I feel a little embarrassed. Everyone in this room is hearing how incompetent I am. But I guess none of it is my fault.

They ask Mama a few more questions then she steps down from the stand and leaves out a door.

"Who's next?" I ask Taylor.

"Jenna is next. Then it's me and then you." she explains.  "I'm going to sit with Jordan, but Viv will join you soon."