XI

"Hey Vic, where're you going? You just got home from school." I hear Mama ask from downstairs.

I've been lying in bed all day, not wanting to move. I keep thinking about going back to school and it's making me so anxious.

"Beach." Vic replies.

"Honey, can you take Kellin with you? He seems really upset and hasn't gotten out of bed all day." Mama asks.

"Yeah, of course." Vic chirps before I hear footsteps up the stairs.

Soon the door opens and even though I'm facing the wall away from the door, I know it's Vic. I feel the bed dip down as Vic lays down next to me and his arm slides around my waist.

"Hey you." He chirps in my ear.

He's in a good mood which is great. He stopped ignoring me after what happened yesterday.

"Hi." I whisper.

"I missed you today." He smiles.

"You did?" I ask, a smile tugging on my lips.

"I definitely did. And guess who got suspended?" He grins.

"Who?" I mumble.

"Alex. I told Mama what he did to you and she called up the school." He explains.

"Did you tell her what he does to you?" I ask.

He pauses.

"No." He sighs.

"Vic, she should know." I murmur.

"I don't want to worry her anymore. She worries enough." He mumbles.

"She worries because you don't talk to her." I say matter-of-factly.

"I'm having a good day, can we not talk about this, please?" He asks and I nod.

"Sorry." I mumble.

"It's okay. I'm going to the beach and you're coming." He says changing the subject.

"I've never been to the beach." I mumble turning around so I'm finally facing him.

"Obviously because you lived in Oregon. I'll...take you to my...favorite spot. Have you been crying?" He asks and I shrug looking down. Is it that obvious? "What did I tell you?"

A smile falls onto my face and I blush slightly.

"That I'm too gorgeous for tears." I murmur shyly.

"Exactly. Now why have you been crying?" He asks rubbing my cheek with the pad of his thumb.

"I'm just scared about Monday." I shrug.

"Don't think about Monday, okay? We'll deal with Monday on Monday. Right now we're going to have some fun, yeah?" He asks enthusiastically and I nod smiling. "Good, let's go."

He gets up and I follow him as we walk downstairs. We leave the house and get into his car and he drives off, I'm assuming towards the beach.

I smile at the happy grin on his face. I like seeing him happy. I hate it when he's sad.

We pull up at the beach and Vic and I get out of the car. He grabs towels from the trunk before we start walking on the beach. There's not many people here today. Vic's walking towards a wired fence, confusing me but I follow anyway. When we get to the fence, he pulls on it, revealing a hole in the fence where the wire has been cut. It doesn't look like you're supposed to go in there but Vic does anyway and I follow with no objections.

We walk along, through trees and bushes and when we come out the other side, there's a sandy pier. My eyes go wide as Vic grabs my hand and pulls me over to it. About six feet down there's water.