XVI

"There's so many flavors. How am I supposed to pick just two?" I say with my mouth agape, staring at all the ice cream flavors. "I want chocolate ripple but I also want boysenberry. But then I want bubblegum and also rocky road."

Vic chuckles and shakes his head.

"I promise you, I'm going to keep taking you here until you've tried every flavor." He murmurs. "But for now, you get chocolate ripple and rocky road. Then I'll get bubblegum and boysenberry and we'll share."

I attempt to clap my hands excitingly as I nod but it proves difficult due to the sling that's holding my arm in place.

"You're so cute." He breathes, shaking his head as he walks up to the counter.

He tells the lady what we want and she scoops the ice cream into a cone. When she's finished she hands them to Vic who hands one of them to me while he pays.

When he's finished we go sit at a table and wait for Mama and Papa to get back from the art store. I thank Vic gratefully for the ice cream and he looks around then he quickly kisses my cheek.

I blush and giggle feeling rather giddy.

He sighs dreamily at me and licks his ice cream. I don't know what it is about him doing that but it makes me feel weak and weird. I even shudder slightly.

After he's tried both flavours, he holds the cone up to my mouth. I try both too and decide that I love them all equally.

I feel so lucky to be here right now. Not just now either but forever. I could have been placed with a bad family but I wasn't. I could have never been taken away from Mother and Father but I was. I'm so lucky. I got put with a caring mom, a caring dad and a wonderful boy who is now my boyfriend. If I knew that this is what would have happened then I would have told the police everything myself.

Mama and Papa soon come to the table and sit across from Vic and I. Mama pulls a book and a set of pencils out of a bag. She hands them to me and I gasp in amazement.

I hug them tightly and grin at Mama and Papa.

"Thank you." I whisper. "This is the second best thing you've ever bought me."

Papa smiles but gives me a curious look.

"What's the best?" He asks.

"A bed." I murmur.

Everyone looks at me shocked and I feel mildly uncomfortable.

"You never had a bed, honey?" Mama asks softly.

"I had a crib when I was little but after I grew too big for that, I had to sleep on the floor." I murmur.

I feel Vic gently place his hand on my thigh, in what I think is a sympathetic gesture.

"On the carpet?" Papa asks and I shake my head.

"The basement floor was cement." I explain and I watch Mama and Papa's face fall even more.

I hate this topic of conversation and I absolutely hate upsetting Mama and Papa so I quickly change the subject.

"Mama, would you like to try some icecream?" I chirp.

"No thank you Honey." She smiles.

"Would you like some Papa?" I offer.

He shakes his head but gives me a grateful smile.

"We have a busy couple of weeks scheduled for you Kell." Mama begins and I give her a confused look.

"Busy? How?" I question.