Clinic

I hate this chair I think to myself as I sit on the hard plastic seat. I know it's a free clinic so I shouldn't complain but it's so uncomfortable. The shit brown walls make feel just as bad, there littered with colourful posters. I count 15 HIV posters and numerous STI ones. As I look around I wonder how many diseases are In the room.

A small woman with grey skin and sunken eyes sits to my left. I can't help but to notice that she is sobbing as she reads an aids pamphlet.

To my my right a large man is comforting a woman who struggles not scratch her crotch . Someone's in trouble I think.

I personally am not worried as I've only been with Jason in the last 4 months and both times we used a condom. But you can never be too safe, condoms arnt 100%.

A man or rather a boy around 17 walks in with a swagger like he's proud to be here. I find myself studying his strange behaviour as he speaks to the receptionist. He turns and notices me looking, I shiver as he winks at me. He palms a handful of condoms, more than he will use in a year and takes the seat across from me.

"Want to help me use them" he says with his barely broken voice. He moves closer so his knees are almost touching mine.

I look over his skinny pubescent body and can't hold in my laughter.

"Aww" I say making him look at me in confusion.

"Isn't he sweet, his first pube came through and he thinks he's James Bond" I laugh.

The couple to my right start to laugh .

"I've got moves you ain't never seen baby" we says as he bucks his hips.

I swear I thought I would throw up in my mouth.

" I'm sure I'm really missing out baby" I say sarcastically.

"Aren't you a little too young to be here, do they make condoms that fit 12 year olds" I snigger.

Our little show has gathered attention, people laugh at the would be Casanova.

"173" a doctor calls as she enters the room.

That's me Thank god "just in time I think pencil dick here is about to shoot his load. He hasn't taken his eyes of my breasts"

The large man laughs before making a point of covering his large chest with his arms.

.........

The one thing I miss the most about not taking money from my parents is the health care. It was so much nicer at my private doctors but I'm too proud to accept their help.

The doctor checks me and gives me the all clear like I had expected. I think I would actually faint if I did get an STI.

It's a warm day so the heat caresses me as I walk out to the street. I decide to walk home rather than to pay for a cab, my pocket book is greatful . I have to be careful as things at the club couldn't easily go back to how it was before. I people watch as I walk I think about their lives and how much more appealing it must be to my own. I'm so inside my own head I almost miss my ringing cell.

"Savannah speaking" I say when I don't recognise the number.

"Savannah this is Jim, Darcys friend. He told me your looking for a job"

"He did " I'm confused.

"I own the velvet gallery and I'm currently looking for a curator"

"a curator" I repeat

"yes mine just up and quit. Darcy said you were experienced"

"I mean I went to school and studied art but I have never worked in a gallery. I'm totally in experienced" I stutter. I had told Darcy that I had no interest in art so it makes no sense, why would he recommend me.

"I should probably warn you, my gallery isn't filled with monet. The collections are a little more...... Exotic"

I'm intrigued, I hope he elaborates. I wonder if his version of exotic is the same as mine.

Jim let's out a laugh, I hear him umming as he tries to work out what he wants to say.

"each show is different but mainly they revolve around sex and other subjects you wouldn't see at the tate modern" he laughs to himself as I gasp.

"I'm not going to lie I'm kind of curious"

"can you meet me tomorrow at 5, I'll show you around the gallery and we will take it from there."

I find myself agreeing, I use a pen to write the address on my arm before we exchange our goodbyes.

I find myself skipping home, my day had officially gotten better. I honestly never saw myself working at a gallery but from what Jim told me it didn't really fit in the normal gallery description.

I waste no time in googling the gallery, I'm amazed with how many pages pop up. There are news paper articles about the exhibits and reviews from professional art critics. I also find many articles where the gallery is slated for its vulgar art. I look on the website and see the current collection is all paintings of naked men, I'm a stripper but even I'm a little shocked at what's in front of me. I've never seen as many dongs in my life. This is so the job for me.

......

The velvet gallery is dark, it's lit mainly by small red lights . It almost feels like I've stepped into the red light district. It looks so expensive and luxurious, surprisingly it doesn't feel at all sleazy. Soothing jazz fills the space and makes the atmosphere feel almost romantic.

A tall man dressed head to toe in black greets me as I approach a large painting of a black man posing with his hands on his hips. Its striking, I can hardly take my eyes off it.

"you have a good eye, this is my favourite piece," he says gesturing to the painting.

"it's amazing, I love the way the artist used the lighting" I remark.

"Sorry I got distracted I'm savannahs I'm here to meet with Jim"

His eyes light up  "savannah it's great to meet you Darcy wasn't exaggerating you are beautiful"

I realise the man stood before me is Jim, my potential new boss. I outstretch my hand, he smirks as he shakes it. His grasp is firm and confident, he lets go of my hand and guides me to a small counter at the back of the gallery. 

We take a seat on the small red couch, he takes the folder I pass it and starts to skim through it as I nervously look on. I had never thought my qualifications would ever come in handy, I'm now happy that I kept a hold of my research and all the work I did at college. He looks impressed but in the darkroom, it's really hard to be sure.

" I cant offer you the job now but would you be willing to do a week trial to see if its a good fit."

I nod enthusiastically, I may not have set out to work in art but the feel of this place is much different to the stuffy galleries I had been to at the past. I can actually see myself working here, the thought is exciting.

Jim tells me the hours and salary, I almost fall from my chair. For someone my age its decent. I don't have to worry about only making $50 a day anymore. The only problem is that its another job i will have to hide from my mother, i don't think she would approve. Although i don't think she would approve of any job i took, she believes i should be married with a small family. 

....

As much as I would love to barge into the club and hand Derek my notice I have some self restraint and keep my exciting news to myself. I can't risk losing my place at the club as this job is obly on a trial basis. The week may not go well and I may not be asked to stay on at the gallery. As its my day off I decide I want to go out and party.

It's time to go and celebrate and theirs only one person to call.

"Hi Darcy, are you busy"