Chapter 52

Everything was blurry.

I opened my eyes to find my self still in the dark, moss covered cell. I had lost count of the days, minutes, hours I had been here. I suspected a week at the minimum, though it felt like a year. I had been given a couple of herbs to clean my wound with, as they didn't want me dead. I may as well have been. I was abused every day, my attachment to this world slowly fading every day. I could feel my eyes glaze over as they taunted me about my strength.

But what annoyed me most was that my thoughts always returned to Jae-ha. His disappointed and upset expression he had when I told him about my lack of trust. When it boiled down to it, he would throw him self in front of Yona before me. I wanted it like that, but I was still wary of trusting anyone with my life. So if I where to die here, the last words I had said to the man that was becoming more than a friend to me, was that I was sorry.

I heard the yells and taunts in front of the cage, but it was distant. It was getting harder and harder to keep awake, to move from my sprawled position on the floor, even to feed my self. The thought of Yona and the others brightened my mood slightly, but then I would remember that I have abandoned them, probably for the last time. I would feel even worse then earlier because on that thought.

There was suddenly the thumps of foot steps, and a guild member appeared before my cell. I didn't bother moving to see what he was doing, for I knew as soon as I felt something connect with my forehead. A stale piece of bread and a tomato which was practically rotten. I paid no attention him, only absently picking up the 'food' and placing it to the side. My eyes never left the ceiling as the guild member scoffed, before once again disappearing. Life once again flickered into my eyes and I sat up slightly, studying my surroundings.

There was no hope of getting out. Everything was heavily enforced, and up stairs there was two guards at the metal door. I could tell from their conversation, which was slightly muffled, but my only sense of entertainment in this rotting prison.

I sighed, slumping back onto the floor. This place gave me nostalgia, and that wasn't a good thing. I kept on reminiscing on the past, images of my life before King Il found me flickering through my head. The relief I had felt when I was gazed at with love, and not pure disgust. King Il was my savior, he had shown me the point of life. Why the villagers of my previous home had laughed so freely when I had not shown my face. I had been confused. They where poor, and yet they where smiling so cheerfully. King Il had shown me that happiness in life, and now look where I am.

In another prison, literally this time.

"Azumi~" A voice cooed, snapping me out of my thoughts. I glanced up blankly, my face void of emotion and my eyes dull.

"Ahh, look at you. You where so much easier to break then I thought you would be. Tell me, what do you regret?" He asked.

"What I regret...?" I muttered, forcing my self to sit up. He blinked in surprise as I sat against the wall, dropping my head backwards despite the pain.

"That's what I asked" He agreed, impatient. He wanted a satisfactory answer.

"I regret not protecting my friends. I regret running away, and wasting my time on you" I muttered.

"How dare you!" He snapped, punching the bars. They con-caved slightly and the ghost of a smile curled across my lips.

"You can taunt me all you want. But I'm already broken. You never had a chance in the first place" I told him, tightening my shirt back up absentmindedly as I suddenly got an ounce of strength. Man, teasing people was fun!

"You bitch, how dare you insult me" He snarled.

"I was just being truthful. Isn't that what you wanted?" I asked, cocking my head innocently at him. He stormed off, too embarrassed and angry to respond.

I sighed, looking at the stump where my left hand used to consist. It was healing surprisingly well, though that might have been because I was used to healing death threatening wounds, especially on my self, with one hand. But because of the severity of the wound, I was left off balance and confused. Within my first days of here, I would pace, and suddenly run into wall because my left hand wasn't there to catch me. Within the time being here, I had gotten used to it... Some what. It would take a long time to get used to not having a left hand.

But the scariest thought was, had my left hand been sold? To some person in Kouka? Maybe even over seas? What would they do with a hand?

I shivered slightly at the thought and forced my eyes shut. This was just another days in the abyss of darkness I had already adjusted too. My hope of living had long disappeared.

Would I ever get out of here...?