{16th Part of Benna's Journey}

As I ran my fingers through what was left of my hair, clumps continued to come out. I heard the door knob open and I looked up to see everybody piling in. Including Marianne and my parents. Everybody came and game me a kiss or a gentle hug and I just smiled weakly. When Miah came over he sat in a chair next to my bed.

"Hi Miah," I tried saying but it only came out in a whisper.

"Hey," he said, trying not to frown as he looked at a box in his hand.

"What's that?" I asked. Everyone was talking amongst each other so it seemed that there was just Miah and me.

He lifted up the box, "I-I got something for you." He brought his hands up onto the bed and opened it. Inside was a silver bracelet with 3 diamonds lining the edge. I must of had a giant grin on my face because he made a slight laugh as I looked at the bracelet in awe.

"It's for me?" I asked. Just making sure I had heard correctly.

"No, I got it for myself. Do you think it matches my skintone?" he asked jokingly holding it to his wrist. "Here," he said, gently clasping it around my wrist and staring deeply into my eyes. His eyes seemed to have glazed over with water and I tried to reach my hand up and touch his cheek but I wasn't strong enough. He helped me, grabbing my hand and holding my hand to his cheek as he buried his head in my pillow. When he looked back up, he stared right into me, with his gorgeous brown eyes and whispered, "I love you."

A tear rolled down my cheek as I replied, "I love you too." Miah grinned and kept holding my hand. It was almost like if he let go of my hand, he was going to lose me and so, he held tight for as long as he could. Even until visiting hours were over.

**************************************************

It was a week later when I got to wheel home in my wheel chair. I had been visited by my friends, family, Miah, and even his little brother Mikey. My room was filled with flowers, and cards, and get well soon posters. But, yet, somehow, it still had the worst smell of the hospital. The smell of the sick and the ill. They smell of the dying, which is why I was glad to be home.

**************************************************

We were all on our way to the beach, which they had posponed so that I was able to go with them. I laid on my stomach, watching them all make the worst sandcastle ever. I watched them run in the water, splashing each other, wishing I could have what they had. I really don't mind my disease killing me though, as long as it doesn't kill anyone else.

As I was deep in thought, a pair of strong arms came and flipped me over to my back. I couldn't see his face because of how the sun was hitting him, but I knew it was Miah. Just by the gentless of his grasp, and the softness of his skin. I giggled as he swooped me into his arms, carrying me as if I was the bride and he was the groom.

"What are you doing?" I asked him.

"We," he emphasized, "are going to run on the beach." He grinned at my and I groaned.

"I'm too tired... and weak. I won't make it two feet before I fall on my face," I whined.

"Well that's why I'm carrying you silly goose," he said, kissing my nose. "Isn't it one of your top ten things to do." I smiled at the thought that he had remembered what wqas on my list.

"Okay," I agreed, still smiling. "I'm going to get a children's book published," I told him as he looked at me.

"Can I draw the pictures," he asked, pretending to act like a five year old and I tried slapping him on the arm, even though it was more of a tap.

"Oww," he whined, even though I knew he barely even felt it. I still laughed at him though.

Miah began to run through the water, splashing me periodically as I squeled and laughed. Finally he stopped and set me down in knee- high water, never letting my go. I suddenly felt a drop of water on my nose and I looked up. There were clouds overhead and we could hear the rain slapping on the water. Once the rain got to us it was pouring and I closed my eyes, hanging my head back and letting it take me in. When I opened my eyes and looked toward Miah he was watching me, smiling.

Miah stretched out his hand and asked, "Would you like to dance?" I grabbed his hand and he pulled me close. I leaned my head on his chest and closed my eyes as the rain continu to hit my back. We swayed back and forth and finally after I began to get tired, walked onto the wet sand grabbing a stick. We wrote "Benna <3 Miah" in the sand and watched it get washed away by the rain and waves. It saddened me to think that, the sand was our relationship. So defined and bold when it's drawn out for us, but when the rain comes in, it washes it all away. Only leaving a little trace of something that used to be. Miah wrapped his arms around me and hugged me close. I knew he would never forget me, and that I'd always remember him. No matter where we were and when we were there. Or... who we were with. It was love that would last forever.

*********************************************************

"Where were you guys?" Brinson called, running toward us from the car to grab me from Miah's grasp so that he could rest from carrying me. I could tell Miah didn't want to let go but he eventually did.

"Just down the beach," I told him tiredly as I leaned my head on Brinson shoulder. He placed me on a seat in the car and all the girls wrapped me in towels.