Lost and Found - JiRose

Start from the beginning

He was a real-life John Doe, and she was fascinated by the tantalizing puzzle he presented, his origins a mystery to solve, like the crossword puzzles she used to love solving when younger.

He was her get-away from her grey humdrum reality that consisted of a walk in the morning, work, back to her tiny studio flat to drop unto the bed utterly drained and repeat the next day.

She hid her jacket in his cupboard, as an excuse to go back.

She went back several times, spending her break reading beside his bed, smiling shyly when she glanced up at him as she turned a page.

She went back enough times until one day she noticed it had become habit.

Lisa wiggled her eyes in amusent each time her friend stammered an apology to their supervisor Yoongi for punching in late, when break ended some 10 minutes before.

Yoongi was a mild-mannered man who knew how diligent his workers were so he didn't make a fuss about it. Instead, he shared a wink with Lisa and Jisoo, her senior

"Yah, did you go see that John Doe guy again?" Lisa hissed over her computer.
At the next desk, their other senior Jennie gave Lisa her infamous double-barrelled death-glare.

She gave a little nod, a pink blush stealing over her chipmunk cheeks, as Lisa called them.

"You're growing obsessed over him"she groaned now, falling back in her chair with a dramatic sigh. Jisoo grinned at the youmger girls and went back to her work.

The accused girl chuckled, but didn't deny anything.
Truly, she just felt comfortable in his silent presence--it had become another routine, but this time, she was doing it because she wanted to.

Around a month later since she had found him on the beach, he woke up.

She had gone in to visit him as usual, impatient to sit down and get to reading because this particular book Lisa had lent her was a page-turner.

But the door to his room was blocked by two barrel-chested policemen.

Her heart suddenly burst into a stuttering rhythm when they broke the news: "Sorry miss, you can't go in....he's waking up"

She couldn't tell whether the surge of emotion inside her was disappointment or elation or both.

Her John Doe was awake...

She waited some time until her break ended but had to go back when they still didn't let her in. But they promised her that tomorrow she could see him.

Tomorrow came and found her dithering outside his door, wishing desperately for some divine intervention to give her the guts to just go in and greet him.

The divine intervention came in the form of the door being flung back suddenly and a pair of blazing eyes locked with her own.

His eyes, lined with long lashes, were the colour of the sea on a stormy night, dark and angry.

Before she could react, he moved.

Seizing her in an armlock, he backed away from the door , pushing her in front of him as a doctor and nurse and two guards poured out of the room.

"Stay back!" He warned, holding her in his grip, "I'll hurt her".

"Sir please calm down, we mean no harm," said the doctor pacifyingly.

"Yeah right pull the other one," snarled her aggressor. She hadn't even put up a fight. His arm snaked around her throat, but it wasn't so tight. Maybe she could...

He sensed her resistance and tightened his hold.

"Let go of that poor girl, John Doe, and let's all calm down and work things out"

"I told you that's not my name!" He shouted, deafening her,"why won't you call me-"

She twisted and flipped him over as easily as if she were swatting away a fly, smacking him hard on the floor.
The guards winced and 'ooohed' upon touchdown.

John Doe blinked up at her, blond strands falling in his eyes.

"Lay a finger on me again and I can't promise I'll go easy on you" she muttered.

And then surprisingly, he grinned, his smile taking up almost all of his face.

"I like that, a girl who can throw a punch...plus she looks hot too."

She felt her face ignite and backed away as the guards moved forward to collect him.

"Thanks miss," said the doctor tiredly, rubbing his temple as the guards escorted the man back into his quarters,"he was very restless and paranoid this morning. And he's very upset he can't remember much except his name. But i guess he needed that smack to bring him to his senses.."

"Oh I'm actually sorry, I didn't mean to hurt him or anything," she said hastily but he waved her off.

"Do you know him? You can go in see him if you want, we had only been trying to talk with him when he snapped".

"Umm..ok...uhh..doctor..."

"Kim. Dr Kim Taehyung" he said pleasantly. "Well, we'll be leaving then. See if you can have a conversation with our friend. If you feel in danger at all, call the guards...although I guess you can handle yourself well..."

So once again, she found herself in front of his door, with the number 131095 emblazoned on it. But this time, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath.
She remembered his soft hand pulling her against his chest, and the sensation of his heart beating through her shirt, his breath shuddering right by her ear.

Her fist moved of its own volition, landing on the white surface with two firm thumps, surprising her.

"Come in"

She peeked into the room. And she noticed the immediate difference--the machines keeping him alive for the last few weeks were silent.

He was sitting in bed, his arms crossed on his lap. And in his hands, he held her jacket.

"Hey" he called, shyly.

"Hey" she said back, just as shy.

"I...I take it this is yours then?" He said after a pause, gesturing at her jacket, neatly folded. "The nurse said it belonged to the tall girl with long brown hair that visited me everyday. That must be you, yeah?"

"Yup, it's mine" she nodded, "I kept forgetting it..."

"It's familiar..."he muttered to himself, but she heard.

"Maybe you've seen it in a shop before..." she suggested, pulling up a chair to sit. "Or a friend owned it...."

"Friend..."he said thoughtfully. His gaze turned misty, but it was over in seconds and he turned to her again.

He swallowed, eyeing her neck. "Did I hurt..you?"he asked softly. He licked his thick lips nervously.

She shrugged. She'd seen worse.

"I could tell you didn't really mean to hurt me"

He blinked at her,cocking his head. Those doe eyes were too adorable, drinking her in.

"Really?" He asked.

"Yeah, when you were tightening your arm you weren't really squeezing, I could tell..." she bit her lip, inwardly cursing. Had she said too much?

He shook his head. "Well then I'm glad but still accept my sincerest apologies...I never meant any harm, I don't know what came over me"

He looked away. "I hope it doesn't happen again" he said with a forced laugh.

She decided to change the subject.

"We never got to introduce ourselves" she said,"so let's start from scratch?"

He smiled and pointed at himself. "Park Jimin. Pleased to meet you...?"

"Chaeyoung. Park Chaeyoung" she smiled back.