Chapter 32 (extra chapter) : Wolf in Sheep Skin

Italics= Italian

|0|0|

Chapter 32: Wolf in Sheep Skin

|0|0|

Mountainous plains of sun bleached grass and lanky trees that reached towards the sky like sunburnt needles pass by over and over on repeat. The sun had already risen and as I started to recognize the landscape, I knew we would arrive to the village in about 10 minutes. A sense of dread filled me. I didn't want to see any of those people again, but my father and grandparents were buried there and I owed it to them to go at least visit before going back to America.

"Hey are you alright?" Levy asks tentatively, ripping me out of my reverie. His eyes were misty and his hair was all over the place since he had just woken up.

"Sure, yeah, just a little nervous is all," I answer back, Levy smiles widely and blushes faintly as he slips his hand into mine. I stare at him for a bit before smiling widely.

"Well, good. You'll be fine, your family will probably be happy to see you again after so long," Levy says innocently, not aware of my situation.

I sigh deeply and look out the window of the car, the trees speed away as fast as they come into view. I look back at Levy, who's head is tilted to the side in confusion like a puppy.

I laugh gingerly, "I'm not going to my town to see them, angelo. In fact, I really hope they don't recognize me"

"Why not? Did something happen with them? You never actually told me why you worked for Dante.." Levy trails off, looking at me curiously.

"I'll tell you some other time," I respond, clearing my throat and looking down at our hands. I glance up and our eyes meet. I can tell he's dying to probe me for answers but his mouth stays shut.

I sigh a little and hold his hand tighter while looking out the window. As herds of cattle and a few fences started to appear, I felt a sense of dread trickle down my spine. It wasn't an Oh-fuck-Dante's-about-to-take-everything-from-me-again dread but more of a well-fuuuuuucckkk-me-with-a-chainsaw sorta feel.

Levy brushes his fingers against my cheek and I smile softly at him before bringing his hand to my mouth and kissing his fingers.

"That kinda tickles," Levy laughs, I grin evilly before pulling him practically onto my lap and kissing up his arm Adams Family style.

"What are you doing!" Levy laughs, blushing a deep tomato red.

"Enjoying what is mine," I answer gruffly before steadily gazing into his eyes. I wrap my arm around his waist and rest my free hand onto his thigh. His whole body seized up at the action and his leg flinched violently.

"What's wrong?" I whisper, my voice tightening in concern as I removed my hand from him.

"Nothing, I'm fine I swear," Levy tries to laugh it off but his eyes jump from object to object, not focusing on anything specific.

"Please," I beg quietly, "or at least tell me you're fine while looking me in the eyes."

Levy's eyes widen in alarm, but he still doesn't make eye contact. Of course in that precise moment the car pulls to a stop. I whip my head to look out the window. Sure enough, perpendicular dirt roads directed downhill and twisted around the five stop town. Two story buildings were at the center which fanned out to cottages and other houses that became more and more sprinkled about the farther from town they got, but the dirt roads still lead them back to the center.