Chapter 3 - The Dreamer

Start from the beginning

Ximena gives me a curious look. "No, I just need a place to write my next book in peace."

"Oh, you are a writer, that is interesting! Do you think I've ever read one of your books?" I ask. As if I have ever read a book in my life.

"Only if you like romance," she gives me a smile that makes my insides melt.

"Maybe my sister Jessica has," I point at her while she chats with customers.

Ximena's smile widens. "Can I see the menu? I hope I'm on time for a late lunch," she places a hand over her stomach as it emits a rumbling noise.

"Right on time. Here you go," I hand her a menu. "There is nothing fancy; just soup, salads,

and sandwiches, but it's what people around here enjoy."

While Ximena checks the menu, I look around the dining area and try to appreciate it through the eyes of a newcomer. We turned the worn out looking diner into a beautiful contemporary place. Large artistic photos of the fairgrounds and the pier hang on the walls, and we removed the old orange booths and replaced them with wooden tables and chairs.

"This is hard. I like pretty much everything that you have here. Just surprise me."

"I'll try my best."

Jaden comes out of the kitchen, wiping his hands on a rag. "The knob had a thick layer of grease and wasn't turning the screw inside. You should maybe have the stove extractor checked just in case that's the reason for the buildup. See you around Ximena. I'll let Greg know when your car is fixed."

Before any of us can reply, he walks towards my sister, kisses her cheek and leaves.

XIMENA

Charlie leaves to prepare my food and I find myself admiring his physique. He's one of the tallest guys I've ever met. His face has a boyish charm; likely because of the bunch of dark curls held back by a thick band. His sister shares the same type of her, yet the stare she throws my way from time to time is not as friendly as Charlie's. I avoid looking at her as I watch the town's pier through the window. Right now it's almost empty, but for the few people fishing.

After a few minutes, Charlie sets a big bowl of steamy soup in front of me together with a basket of bread slices. He then sits in front of me, making me feel self-conscious and hesitant on what to do next. I reach for a piece of bread, and our hands bump as he reaches out for the same piece. We laugh and I feel more at ease as he hands it to me and grabs a piece of bread for himself.

"That good, huh?" he says after I let out a noise close to a moan.

"I swear this is the most delicious bread I've ever had. Best mix of crispy crust and buttery spongy inside. You need to introduce me to your supplier."

"Nice to meet you, Charlie Monroe," he salutes.

"You made this? Charlie, this is amazing food!" I say and pick another piece.

"It's my mom's recipe and the reason why this café is still operating after so many years. We even sell loaves early in the morning."

"Your parents own this place?"

"Not anymore. Jess and I took over about three years ago when they retired."

"Were you born and raised in this town?" I ask while I taste the delicious chicken noodle soup.

"I was born in Greenwood and grew up here. I think the only birth in Lonstino was the one of Brian Connor. He was born on the fairgrounds."

"How come? Did his mother give birth on a ride?"

Charlie laughs heartily at my cheeky question and shakes his head. "No, the Connors own the fairgrounds and live there too. Brian was born in that house. You should meet him sometime, he's a great friend."

"I would certainly like to meet him. Soup is great too, by the way."

Charlie waves at a few people that come into the café. "I'll be with you in a moment. Our dinner shift staff is arriving and I need to talk to John, the evening manager."

I'm left to enjoy my meal and continue watching the people walking around and the calm sights of the pier. Charlie returns from the kitchen wearing a checked flannel shirt over his black t-shirt. I open my backpack and fetch my wallet to pay, but he places his hand over mine.

"It's on the house. Think of it as a welcome to Lonstino gift."

"Thank you, Charlie. That's very kind."

"Let me bring you to Greg's house."

After gathering my belongings, we walk outside and the breeze coming from the sea rustles my hair. Charlie makes light talk as we cross the street and shares some facts about the town and a few places that I should visit. I wonder what's in store for me next. The people seem friendly, the location is beautiful and peaceful, but I know that not everything that glitters is gold.