7: Family Dinner

**if you notice any mistakes, please point them out.**

"Yes, Mom?" Val asked after his mother called him, which brought an ending to his meeting with his men.

"Tino, how have you been?" his mother cheerfully asked him. Val rolled his eyes at his mother's old nickname for him. While practically everyone who knew him has called him 'Val,' his mother wanted to call him 'Tino'.

"Good. I assume you've heard the news," he said. It was more of a statement than a question since his mother was known as 'the Gossip Queen' through their extended family and friends.

"Yes! That's why I'm calling. I'm planning a family dinner tonight so we can celebrate my newest grandchild," she said excitedly. Even though it's been a month and half since Fiona's birth, she wanted to plan a gathering already. Since Val came out of the womb, his mother has loved planning parties for any kind of occasion: birthday parties, baby showers, graduation parties, etcetera, etcetera.

"And don't forget to bring Leah too," she continued.

"It's Lilly, Mom," he corrected.

"It's not my fault that you have never let us meet her," Val and his mother have had this argument over the phone many times.

Every time he'd tell his mother she was busy. Obviously, she wasn't since she barely has gotten out of the house. The thing was, Val, didn't know why he lied. Maybe because he didn't want his fake wife to meet his real family. Or maybe because he was embarrassed by her.

Val had always thought that he'd marry an amazing woman, not a stranger, and he even told everyone so.

"Mom, I think she's-" he was about to lie again when his mother interrupted him.

"Don't give me that crap! I already asked Lydia and she said Layla isn't busy," she exclaimed proudly.

He pinched the bridge of his nose in annoyance. Not only does he have to deal with Jeremy Woods but also his mother too.

"Fine, Mom. I'll bring her, okay? Now I have to go, bye," he said. This time he wasn't lying. He had some unfinished worksheets and papers to read and sign that he needed to finish for his company.

"Alright, bye, love-dove," she said as if she was talking to a baby and not to a 29-year-old man. With that, she finally ended the call.

"Where are we going again?" Lilly asked as she kept her hand on Fiona's car seat handle, so it doesn't shake too much as they drive and thus, wake her up.

"My parents' house," Val answered, barely looking at Lilly as he tapped on his phone.

Lilly nodded even though she knew he couldn't see her. "Why?" she persisted.

"To have dinner with them," he replied in an 'obviously' tone.

"Okay, but why? Why now?" The protective grip on the car seat handle tightened with each question she asked. Lilly has always assumed that his parents disliked her for some reason. She told herself that that's why they never wanted to meet her, but now, something changed.