•8• The Golden Hour

Chapter 8:

Chapter 8:

The Golden Hour

Daylight gradually sweeps across the bedroom floor as the morning sun rises. I've been lying on my side, gazing out of the window at the amber glow coming from the sun. I've never seen a sunrise in my life, but because I'm lying here, uncomfortable from feeling very sick, I've been kept me awake- and the morning is still beautiful.

I feel rough. After the drive home, Steven helped carry me inside as I sang at the top of my lungs and laughed in my drunken state. I was oblivious to what had just almost happened to me. My mum had helped me get into my pyjamas and take my makeup off with a wipe, the same way she'd wipe my face when I'd got into a mess with some chocolate when I was younger. I miss those days.

As soon as my head hit the pillow, the room began to spin, and I was regretting every drink I'd had at the party. Luckily, I wasn't sick, but I struggled to sleep all night and to make matters worse, an intense headache has been building up all morning.

Pulling my laptop onto my bed, I decide to check to see if any pictures from last night have been posted onto the school feed.

As I look through my feed, my fingers stop scrolling, and my heart drops as one specific post catches my eye.

"Did anyone else see the second round of Liam vs Zac last night, this time over the new girl Lola, looked heated."

Not only does the status as a whole bring the overwhelming sick feeling back, but it also brings back the memories of what had happened with Liam.

I feel genuinely disgusted. Was he intentionally trying to get me so drunk that he could take advantage of me? Could he not hear me saying no? I mean I did scream it. The sad thing about it is that he seemed nice, I thought we'd end up being good friends, but instead, he'd hurt me, possibly using me to get at Zac for some reason- well that's what some people are saying. He'd left me feeling worthless.

Slamming my laptop lid shut with a sigh, I close my eyes trying to think of something else.

"Lola, wake up!" Lily shouts as she throws open my bedroom door, running into the room wearing her floral pyjamas.
Snapping out of my serenity, I shove my hand against my temple trying to stop the throbbing Lily had caused by shouting. I want to yell at her to get out, but she looks so cute as she dives onto me, hugging me.

"Morning, sweetie!" My mum follows Lily in, a glass of water in one hand, a plate of toast in the other.

I take the drink from her, taking large gulps to soothe the dryness of my throat.

"How are you feeling?" She says, trying to hold back laughter as she looks at me.

"Rough." I reply, my throat already feeling better.

She laughs out loud this time.

"Well, a hangover is usually what follows a good night out!" She replies gleefully.