Shizuo the Strong (Ending 1)

I woke up in my room, a slight recollection of the memory/dream that I just had. The blanket was carefully set over my body, which was in a pyjama dress. I slipped out from under the covers, slid my feet into the slippers that were set out beside my bed, and leave the bedroom.

My home was as I had left it. No messes, the curtains drawn, tv off, quiet. The home phone rang, shocking me because it was so quiet. I raced over to the phone and answered it.

"Hello?" I ask urgently.

"Turn on the news" Shizuo told me.

I turned on the tv and saw a news report about Yagiri Pharmaceuticals. There were bodies being brought out of the building on gurneys, all of them the bodies I saw the other day. I struggled to say anything, nonsense coming from my mouth.

"Somehow word got out to the police about what you found" he said.

"H-how?"

"I don't know, I just saw it when I turned on the tv"

I plopped down on my couch, laying down with my head leaning on the arm rest.

"Do you know why I'm in my house? And in pyjamas?" He coughed nervously. "Did you change me into my pyjamas?" I ask jokingly.

"N-no, Celty brought you back to your place and helped you. You've been asleep for a while"

"Oh I should thank her" I mumble.

"Does your head hurt?"

"Surprisingly no. I guess I slept through the pain" I say with a chuckle.

"That's good. Are you feeling good enough to have a visitor?"

"Are you talking about yourself?"

"Well I got some food, thought you'd be hungry"

"Food sounds really good right about now"

He hung up and I tossed the phone onto the couch. I watched the news, seeing some more reports about the yellow scarves and the blue squares, and the guest appearances from the leader of Dollars and the yellow scarves, Saika, the Black Rider, and the Darkest Beauty.

A knock came to the door. I opened it to see Shizuo with a cigarette in his mouth and bags in his hand. I take the cigarette out of his mouth and toss it in the garbage.

"Don't think you'll be allowed to smoke in my house" I told him, taking the bags from his hand.

He only chuckled and closed the door behind him, following me into the kitchen. We ate, talking about some of the things I missed while being unconscious, and some things about our past selves. After we finished eating we kept talking but moved over to sit on the couch. I curled my legs up underneath me, facing Shizuo who sat like a normal human being.

"What did you think of Okimi?" I ask.

"She wasn't like you at all. Calm and quiet"

"What was I like? Like... what did I do? I don't remember anything from before 16 I guess, from before I left Ikebukuro"

"You were in some martial arts. Uh, you weren't really involved with any school activities"

"That sounds about right. Do you by chance know who I used to hang out with?"

"It was only Okimi, Shinra, me, and that flea whenever I wasn't around, most of the time"

"The flea, he was really annoying. He still is pretty much"

He burst out laughing, his head rolling back, his arms wrapped around his stomach. I started laughing a little to myself but when Shizuo stopped laughing and stared at me intently I froze.

"You look like you realized something"

"Do you remember?"

I think, only realizing myself what I just said. Suddenly it didn't feel like there was a giant gap missing in memory. I knew everything, even how I acted when I lost Okimi.

"Maybe being back in Ikebukuro, around you guys, and getting hit in the head helped my memories return"

I stared at the ground for a second then looked up at Shizuo. His glasses weren't on his face and I could see straight into his eyes. A thought hit me hard. Now I could figure out why his lips felt so familiar.

Back in high school him and Izaya would fight over me, that was all covered earlier. But Shizuo was the one I liked. Before I left Ikebukuro we were hanging out, one last time. He helped me feel better when all I could think about was Okimi. Then he kissed me.

"I like you-" I instantly shut myself up, slamming a hand against my mouth.

My cheeks were growing red and I was looking around, at anything but him. I didn't mean to say it. Thinking of the memory made me think about how I felt... but it just so happened to be out loud where he could hear instead of in my mind where information was safe.

He carefully removed my hand from my mouth and held it. He was smiling, a small smile that made me think he felt sorry for me. Like he was about to say he didn't like me. But I knew that's wasn't how he felt.

"I like you too" he said quietly, in the softest voice I've ever heard him use.

I sat up on my knees, cupping his face in my hands. He was looking up at me. I pushed my lips down onto his and his arms worked their way around my waist. Eventually I sat with one leg on either side of him, straddling him.

Imaginary fireworks went off in my head. This feeling was what I've been waiting for my whole life. To love and to be loved. It's always been difficult without my sister, I was lost without her, I felt unloved, but I worked my way back. Now here I was sitting in the lap of the boy I used to like, and the man I love.

I pulled away and leaned my forehead against his. "It's good to have you back" he whispered.

"It's good to be back"