Ikebukuro

I was relocated to Ikebukuro. My boss said there was a lot of trouble and crime there so I'd be better off working there. There was more reason than that. Two in particular. He gave me a briefing about two troublemakers who weren't criminals but did cause a lot of trouble. No one had been injured from their disputes but who knew when that would become lies.

My first day. My new boss, a fairly friendly older man who had been working here for a while now, had called me up to his office to talk about what was going to happen.

"Give me your badge" Mr. Sugimoto ordered.

I stiffened. "What? I literally just got here, you can't be firing me already"

He chuckles. "No my dear. You're no longer going to be a normal police officer" he pulls out a black flip phone.

"What's that for? Am I going to be a secret agent or something? Is that so you can call me and give me missions?"

He chuckles again. "Not completely. You're going to be more of an undercover officer. The phone is so you can contact me if you find anything"

"That sounds pretty cool. But why?"

"A criminal sees a cop, they run and escape. If you're there they won't know what hit them, especially with your special set of skills"

"Skills?"

"You have practiced different styles of martial arts since you were young, correct?"

I rub my arm, looking down at the ground nervously. "That doesn't mean I'm very good at fighting"

"I've seen you fight, you know what you're doing"

"What if I run into a big group of thugs?"

He pulled out a gun from the same drawer the phone came from, laying it on the desk next to the phone.

"Only use it if absolutely necessary"

"This is awesome"

"Be wary of those two you were told about, I want you mostly to keep your eyes on them. I've had enough reports of property damage. I'm sending you out there to keep the streets safe. Do your job"

"Yes sir!" I say, saluting him.

"Grab your stuff and go. While you're at it change out of your uniform, you can leave it in a locker, I'll have someone pick it up"

"Thank you sir" I collect my things, bow, then leave, instantly turning back. "W-wait, what am I supposed to do all day if I'm not acting as an officer?"

"You'll do your job when you run in to trouble or hear of any trouble. For now I want you to familiarize yourself with the city. When you are comfortable you will be given a job, one around an area of town where most of the crimes occur"

"So I'll have two jobs?"

"Sort of. This is your main job. I'll make sure to let the manager know your true identity but other than that you remain quiet about being an officer. There are some more people like you, spread out around the city. But you're the first not to be given a badge"

"Why?"

"Just to try something new. If you get caught with the badge it's game over"

"Okay, that makes sense. Thanks again sir"

"Another thing, keep quiet about being an officer, not that anyone would believe you without the badge. If you can, try creating a fake identity"

"You want me to become some sort of vigilante?"

He nods. "Act like a normal girl trying to live a city life. This is a clean slate, you can be whoever you want. Make a name for yourself if you want"

"Speaking of making a name. One of the guys I gotta watch out for though. How would I-"

"We've erased all data on you, and changed your name to Nara Sakai. If anyone tried to find information it would be the basics. And that's only if they know how to find it"

"Like an information broker. Got it" I opened my mouth to ask another question but he spoke.

"You'll be given more information later, right now go settle in to your new home"

I finally left his office with my new things. This was exciting. My first day in a new place, new-ish job. I changed out of my clothes and into what I normally wore, a short purple skirt, a purple tshirt, thigh high purple socks and black heels. I shoved my old uniform in a locker and walk proudly out of the building, my head held high.

Someone on a motorcycle raced past me, making my skirt and hair flutter from their speed. They had a yellow helmet with cat ears on, something I found familiar. The Headless or Black Rider, a rumour I heard about when I first arrived.

I made it to my new home, a nice apartment that was well suited for me. There was one bedroom, not that I'd need more than that, a big bathroom with a whirlpool tub, a fully functional kitchen, a spacious living room and a balcony.

"Hey honey, how you settling in?" my mom asked over the phone.

"Great. I love the place they set me up in, it's huge and gorgeous"

"Your father and I will have to visit sometime" Mom suggests.

"Uh, I think it'd be better if I visit you"

"Now why's that?"

"There's a reason I was sent here of all places"

"Shizuo Heiwajima"

A picture of a tall blond man in a bartenders suit with sunglasses on his face and a cigarette in his mouth came up on the slide show.

"He just looks like a hot bartender, what reason do I have to watch out for him?"

She glares at me. She had gotten used to my candid personality but nevertheless tried to make me think before I spoke.

"6'1, 23 years old. He may not look it but he's strong. He used to be a bartender but is now the bodyguard of Tom Tanaka, a debt collector. Heiwajima has, what you could call, superhuman strength"

My eyes widen. "Well that's new"

The slide changes to show a mischievous looking man. He had short black hair and brown eyes, wearing a black coat with brown fur lining around the hood. His skin was pale, like he didn't get out in the sun often.

"Izaya Orihara"

"Damn. Are all the guys in Ikebukuro this good looking?"

"Pay attention!" She snaps.

I raise an eyebrow but close my mouth.

"5'9 and 23 years old. He is an information broker. Very skilled and powerful in the underground. You won't normally find him in Ikebukuro, because Shizuo keeps him away from the city, but he still finds his way back"

"Ok, we'll call again soon. Bye, love you"

"Love you too, bye Mom. Tell Dad I said hi"