The Black Rider

Did he not know of the part about me being an undercover officer? Was that still a secret? He said my parents were proud of me, but he didn't specify why. I was starting to get nervous about wether my parents told him the truth or didn't say everything. I had told them that me being an officer was a secret, hopefully they kept it.

"Waitress by day, vigilante by night. It must be tiring"

"You figured out I'm the Darkest Beauty"

"The name does suit you quite well" he said, picking at a strand of my hair. "But what other secrets are you hiding?"

"You already figured them all out"

The smile on his face dropped. "Everyone's the same. Everyone lies, everyone hides things. No one makes it through life without being completely honest"

"That sounded rehearsed"

"But it's true"

"What's your point?"

He leaned closer to my ear, I could feel his body pressing up against mine slightly, but I could tell it was unintentional, it only happened because he was trying to whisper something in my ear. Right? He wasn't this perverted, was he?

"I'll figure out every little hidden detail about you, you can't hide it all for long"

"Two can play at that game" I whisper.

He pulled away with a raised eyebrow. "You're different than any normal human"

"I'm focused. Carefree yet careful. I say whatever comes to mind, no matter what. You try and figure out yourself how I'm so different." I started walking away but stopped before opening the door. "That should be your new challenge"

"I love all humans equally but... why am I so interested in you?" I heard him whisper.

I went to the address Izaya gave me and knocked on the door of the apartment the Black Rider supposedly lived in. A man in a lab coat with glasses answered the door.

"Yes?"

"Does the Black Rider live here?"

He steps out of the doorway and ushers me in. There, on the couch in the living room, was the Black Rider in person. The helmet was on their head and they wore a black skintight motor suit. From their body features I could figure out that the Black Rider was a she.

"Celty Sturluson, the Black Rider" The man introduced.

Said person raised a hand in a small wave. Her helmet tilted to the side.

"Nara Sakai, the Darkest Beauty"

"You're the Darkest Beauty?!" The man exclaimed.

"Who are you?"

"Oh, sorry. I'm Shinra Kishitani"

Celty took out a phone and started typing on it, showing me the screen. She had written something for me to read.

"Nice to meet you" it said.

"Let me guess, you can't talk because you don't have a head" She nods. "Cool. I never thought it would be possible, yet here you are. You can take your helmet off if you're more comfortable without it"

"You aren't scared?" She typed.

I shake my head. "I'm not easily scared"

She removed her helmet and black smoke flowed out of where her head would've been attached to her neck. That smoke must've been how she saw and used her other senses, considering it's the only other thing she could do with no head. Unless it was some Dullahan magic.

A Dullahan, an idea some people believed the Black Rider to be, is a type of unseelie fairy with no head. That's where the Headless Horseman stories came from. But a Dullahan is a rider who carried their head around with them. The Dullahan stops riding when someone is supposed to die. Well that's what I've heard from legend.

"What did you need?" Celty asked.

"I wanted your help. I need you to get certain things on this list, most specifically the two on top if you can't find the others"

She takes the note I handed to her and read it over. "Guns and bombs are at the bottom of the list?"

"They aren't priority. I can get them elsewhere. But for now I need you to focus on the top three items, they are important"

"If you don't mind me asking why do you need them?"

"Well the camera from my source has pictures of the inside of the place I'm trying to take down. Someone else has some documents for me that can prove what is said to be going on is really going"

"How is this going to work?"

"The details about the camera and documents are on the back of the paper. There's a meeting place and time all set up already, I just need you to pick it up for me"

"What place are you trying to take down?" Shinra asks.

"Yagiri Pharmaceuticals. I plan on freeing anyone they've kidnaped, if there are any survivors, but I can't have rumours getting out about the other rumours being true. That would be chaos. I have a plan for all of that though, so I just need this job done"

"I'll do it" Celty told me.

"Great. Once this is all over I'll send you your money"

"You aren't going to rip her off are you?" Shinra asked me.

I chuckle. "Do you go to a supermarket and leave empty handed but still pay for food you didn't get?" He looked confused at my comparison. "No. She'll have all the money she needs when I have everything I need. I promise I won't rip her off"

I reach into my purse and pull out my wallet. I flipped through it and pulled out 5 ¥10,000 notes out of it, handing them to Celty. Shinra's eyes were wide as he stared down at the bank notes.

"Down payment" I say, putting my wallet away and pointing at the money. "You'll receive way more than double for your trouble when this is all out of the way"

"What do you do for a living?" Shinra asked me.

"I'm a waitress"

"How much money do you earn as a waitress?!" Shinra asked in shock.

"That's something you may never learn"