9. Trust Issues And Pervy Socs

"Ponyboy!!" I exclaimed running after him. He might be on the track team but so am I. Soda and Johnny were trying to catch up to us. Soon enough, we were already onto the soc side. I stopped running after I couldn't catch my breath. I sat down on the side of a house to catch my breath.

"I-I can't... I can't keep going," I started, not able to talk.

"You guys go!" I exclaimed.

"We aren't leaving you here-"

"Johnny, he's worth more than I am, we can't risk him getting jumped." I sighed taking deep breathes.

"We need to get your asthma problems cured man...Johnny you stay here, Il go after Pony." Soda said running off in the same direction as Pony.

"Johnny sit down." I patted beside me.

"I think he expects us to stay here." I added. He looked at me confidently but in his eyes I could tell there was something wrong.

"You're scared, aren't you Johnny?" I asked.

"N-Not scared for myself. I'm scared for you guys.. I just don't have a good feeling about this. Remember what happened last time we came here?" He asked.

"What happen-" I cut myself off as I recalled what happened.

"Johnny! Come on, let's go please!! We didn't come all the way here for no reason!" I pouted as my hair blew with the wind.

"Fine! But we go in there, buy a few candies and go back to our side. It's that simple, no more than that." He gave in.

"Then lets go!" I exclaimed pulling him towards the candy shop.

We were halfway there when some soc pushed me down. Luckily Johnny didn't fall. He helped me get up.

"Watch where you're going!" The soc exclaimed and spat on my face.

He walked away and turned the corner towards the park.

"EWWWW!!!" I exclaimed disgusted. Johnny quickly covered my mouth.

"Come on, lets go to the water fountain so you can wash your face." He said.

We went to the fountain and ran back to the candy store only to see that it was closed.

Worst. Day. Ever.

"It wasn't that bad!" I exclaimed.

"Are you kidding me!? He freaking spat on your face!" He exclaimed.

"Can we walk around?" I asked trying to change the subject.

"I don't know.." He replied a little uneasy.

"I have a question." I said.

"What is it?" He asked.

"Are you happy Benita's gone?" I asked.

"Yeah." He replied.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because she's safe there." He replied.

"But don't you miss her?" I asked.

"I do. All the time. But I'm glad she's happy and safe where she is." He replied.

"I don't think Dally loves me." I said abruptly.

"Why do you think that?" He asked shocked.

"He doesn't even talk to me that much anymore." I sighed.