3

"Hey Steve!" She greeted, sitting down on the hood of the car beside him.

"Hey girly, how's-"

"Hey!" a rough voice cut Steve off. They turned to see Dally pointing a finger at her.

"Don't you ever talk to a Shepard again, you hear me?" 

"I was waiting for you to go off," she rolled her eyes.

"Don't you roll your eyes at me, young lady. They're dangerous, alright?"

"Yeah, I get it. So Steve, how's the day been?"

She stayed put for a while, Dally glaring at her as she conversed with Steve so casually. She didn't take him seriously and he hated it. She never took anyone seriously, but her older brother should at least be an exception, right? One day it was gonna get her in big trouble and he hated to think about what would happen.

"You got Soda blizzard?" Steve asked her.

"Yeah, sorry I didn't get you one, I'll make it up to you though, I promise!" She replied, standing up.

"Well, I just came here 'cuz I thought you were alone but you've got some company," she gestured to her brother. "So I'm gonna go back to Soda. I'll catch up with you later."

After turning around to walk away, she quickly turned back in curiosity, "oh wait! Anything new with him? Soda, I mean."

"Why do you care about Soda?" Dally asked 

"I wasn't talking to you, Dal," she replied, looking at him.

He simply glared at her again, wondering where she got this attitude from.

"Not much," Steve replied after a while, finally answering her question.

"Oh yeah, there was this guy," he added, taking a sip of his drink. She waited a few minutes for him to continue his sentence but he never did.

"You didn't even finish your sentence," she said trying to get him back on track.

"Oh right, he came and he said he was from your school. Said you were cute 'n all but then started trash talking you." He explained.

Trash talking me?  she thought. What did I ever do to him?

"Then?"

"Soda kicked him out. Kinda beat him up a little, it was real fun" He grinned.

"Thanks Steve."

She walked back into the store and was immediately greeted by the annoying noise of girls speaking with high pitched voices, trying to flirt with Soda. He looked at Riya as soon as he saw her, with a pleading look that was all too familiar.

"Hey babe!" She greeted, getting into character.

"Hey honey, how was school?" He asked, walking over.

"Boring! I wanted to come see you all day but I couldn't skip," she replied, hugging him.

"Well, at least you're here now," he whispered as he kissed her forehead.

Oh my goodness, she thought. This was the closest they'd ever been. Her heart fluttered as his lips lingered on her skin for a moment.

Pulling away and noticing her stuck in a trance, he spoke up, "babe, you okay?"

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry, I got distracted. I missed you so much."

"I missed you too," he smiled.

"You guys aren't even dating," one girl scoffed.

"I don't need to prove my love for her to anyone. If you have a problem you can leave," he said defensively.