Chapter 24

REWRITTEN

CLOVER

"Logan," I giggled, hand on his cheek.

"I thought I could stay away, but you're..." He gazed down at me. "I'm in love with you."

Oh, I'd waited to hear those words for so long. "I'm in love with you too."

With that he pulled me into a hungry kiss.

And I jerked awake in bed.

The clock read two twenty-five, my heartbeat in my ears.

It had been two months since I'd left him. Ever since then, I fantasized about us: him coming up to me in the hallway, kissing me breathless; him ripping my clothes to shreds; him getting down on his knees and begging for my forgiveness. But those fantasies bordered on my lack of control and yearning.

Of course, I occasionally saw him in the hallway, but I had my secrets on how to avoid him. For example, to chemistry he took one route (past the library) while I used the back corridor, going past the gym. Bella and Zoe thought my tactics to be foolish. Not that I talked a lot about him because Bella was still dating Adam. If I heard about Logan, it would make things a lot worse.

So we stayed clear of the topic of him.

No, we interacted once. He was talking to Adam by his locker when I tripped right next to them. I could've sworn I saw him smile. He helped me up and I fought a flinch from the contact.

The click of my window jolted me out of my daydreams.

In a hurry, I grasped the bedside lamp, sneaking out of bed to close in on the dark figure. With a heavy slump, I tackled them to the floor.

"Clover, what are you doing?"

Wait... huh?

"Logan?"

"Yes, can you please get off? My back hurts," he muttered.

"Not until you tell me why you're here at almost three in the morning!" I put the lamp down but continued to straddle him.

"Can we talk? But I don't feel comfortable talking like this."

"You broke into my room in the middle of the night and you're not comfortable?"

Typical of him.

"Well, I'm not the one sitting on top of you, now am I?"

His voice sounded wounded, an unreadable expression on his face.

I got a sense of power from that, tightening my legs on instinct. He groaned, shutting his eyes. "I'm not doing anything you say. I will not give you the satisfaction of getting away with this."

His eyes popped open. "You're already giving me satisfaction!"

Hold up!

At the feel of something hard, I jumped up. Something very hard between us.

"Told you," he grumbled with a blush.

Oh, my God! He reacted to me.

Does this mean he likes me? I wondered. I'm flattered.

"Talk before I kick you out."

Logan sighed. "I don't feel comfortable at home. After what you told me about my brother, I've not been able to sleep. There's something about my home that doesn't feel like home."

No offense, but he did look like he hadn't slept for a long time. Dark bags creased under his eyes, eyelids droopy. His voice also had that odd rasp to it.